+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 04 radio instal

Question 04 radio instal

Okay here we go... I have a 2004 GMC Sierra as stated in my Signature. Anyhow I am getting ready to instal my aftermarket radio and need some advice.
    Do I need 1 or 2 wring harnesses? I am not worried about the steering wheel controls since I intend to get a regular stock steering wheel when I find one. I would not worry about it, but I do not like buttons that do not have a function. And since the radio is in reaching distance I am not worried about the extra harness with the infered sensor that would control the radio through the steering wheel controls even if it worked. Thanks in advance.
    2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
    -Gibson Exhaust

1 harness will do the trick.

IMO...if you buy an interface for like 150 for a good one, your controls will work, but that is me.

good luck

I hear you, but I prefer to keep it simple. Plus I do not want to drill a hole in my dash any where to install the sensor.
    Okay now will the wiring harness come with the speaker that makes all the sounds. From what I have read the stereos in the 04s, 05s and possible 06s has all the warning sounds, chimes, etc... that comes through the stereo and then the speakers. Is this true?
    2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
    -Gibson Exhaust

All of the chimes have played through the radio on most GM cars and trucks since the mid to late 90's.

you can get the harness with the speaker, but you will pay about 40 extra bucks.

i am not talking about the clip-on stereo control for your steering wheel, i am talking about an interface that is wired in under the dash, nothing is showing in the kit. this way all of your buttons still work

PAC is a good brand here is an ok website.
    Steering Wheel Cntrl. Inter.
    Last edited by sierraman; 05-28-2009 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sierraman View Post
    you can get the harness with the speaker, but you will pay about 40 extra bucks.

i am not talking about the clip-on stereo control for your steering wheel, i am talking about an interface that is wired in under the dash, nothing is showing in the kit. this way all of your buttons still work

PAC is a good brand here is an ok website.
    Steering Wheel Cntrl. Inter.
    +1 on pac. they also make the bose/acc interface. if the chimes aren't desired and you don't care about losing the RAP then you can just wire into the thick brown wire on your a/c controls unless you have the automatic climate controls but it won't be RAP. If you have the auto climate, you can find an accessory in the junction block beside the e-brake pedal, but too will not be RAP. The only way to keep the RAP is with a pac interface or metra's gmrc-01
    2005 black Yukon XL SLT - traded in for me wife's new Fusion (GM sucks these days)
    2002 black Yukon SLT (the skinny sister)
    1969 green Pontiac GTO (Layla, AKA the black sheep)

INSTALLS AND MORE.. http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...-low-life.html
    Sticky/broken gauges? I can help. PM me for details.

What is the RAP?
    2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
    -Gibson Exhaust

Retained Accessory Power...keeps the windows, radio, etc. live for a time period after the key is off or until the door is opened.

Thanks GG. I would prefer to keep the RAP. It would keep me from locking my keys in the truck. I am so use to being able to take my keys out and listen to the radio, roll up the windows, etc... If I lost the RAP then I would leave my keys in to do all the above and get out, lock the doors, shut the doors and then YELL.... BEEP ME! You get the picture.
    2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
    -Gibson Exhaust

the RAP will work on everything else, just not the radio unless you buy the gmrc-01 or equivalent. you will still be able to roll your windows down until the door is opened and you will not be able to lock the driver door if opened and the key is in the ignition still regardless of how you make the radio work.
    2005 black Yukon XL SLT - traded in for me wife's new Fusion (GM sucks these days)
    2002 black Yukon SLT (the skinny sister)
    1969 green Pontiac GTO (Layla, AKA the black sheep)

INSTALLS AND MORE.. http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...-low-life.html
    Sticky/broken gauges? I can help. PM me for details.

+ Reply to Thread