+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: $500 - What to spend it on...

Well, in a nutshell, my truck is listed in my sig.

'03 Silverado 4x4 extended cab, Nelson Tuned, electric fans, True Flow intake and cat-back dal exhaust that was on there when I bought it (can't find a name brand) with 3" tips.

So I have about $500 I'm looking to spend and am looking for ideas. Would I like it to have more 'umph'? Of course. I don't think I can swing a cam though, it would be about $900 installed. So I'm thinking headers? Stall converter? Different exhaust? Can you upgrade just injectors? I need a shift kit and was thinking of doing that and a servo...

Throw me your ideas, I'm open to 'em!

Injectors would be a waste. I'd go with electric fans and a harness. The fans will free up the parasitic HP loss from turning the fan and clutch. Get Allen to turn the fans on in the PCM. I picked my 2005 fans up from GandRautoparts.com in OKC for $195 shipped. Get Allen's fan harness and buy a case of beer and have money left over to go out and reward yourself for a job well done.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

Already got the fans! Other ideas?

If you could do the cam yourself you would save quite a lot. It's not that tough. A convertor will cost you more than the $500 limit. A shift kit install with servos will eat up your funds in a hurry. How about a transmission cooler to save you money down the road? You could add a nitrous kit for just under $500 if you do the install. Go conservative with a 50-75 shot. DynotuneNitrous.com has really reasonable prices on their kits.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

We can be close on a cam installed. If you are thinking about a smaller cam and want to go w/o springs, we will install the cam for $200.00. You do need springs, and we will install cam and springs for $250.00.
    I dont see a location for you, so you may be too far away to come.
    We are willing to go the extra mile to get people taken care of.
    I can also sell you a Zex kit for $540.00 and give you a little tech support if you want to try and install it, or we will install it for $125.00. These are cheap prices, but the quality is not.
    '92 GMC reg. cab, step side. 7.32@ 92.3. SOLD
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/d...d700c6401f.htm
    New project: '00 S-10 ext. cab, ZQ8, 370, T-56, daily driver.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedHeartbeat &#064; Apr 26 2006, 07&#58;32 PM) [snapback]51334[/snapback]</div>
    If you could do the cam yourself you would save quite a lot. It&#39;s not that tough. A convertor will cost you more than the &#036;500 limit. A shift kit install with servos will eat up your funds in a hurry. How about a transmission cooler to save you money down the road? You could add a nitrous kit for just under &#036;500 if you do the install. Go conservative with a 50-75 shot. DynotuneNitrous.com has really reasonable prices on their kits.
    [/b]
    Honestly, I don&#39;t know a thing about nitrous (other than what it does of course). I don&#39;t know if using it would have negative affects on other parts (ie: too much stress, etc), what else I would have to change, yada, yada.

Was thinking headers, but not sure if I would have to change the rest of the exhaust or if it hook directly up to it?

Would a tranny cooler be a better decision than a shift kit/servo?

The cooler will just add life to the transmission, keeping the odds of overheating down.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(trtturbo &#064; Apr 26 2006, 07&#58;39 PM) [snapback]51336[/snapback]</div>
    We can be close on a cam installed. If you are thinking about a smaller cam and want to go w/o springs, we will install the cam for &#036;200.00. You do need springs, and we will install cam and springs for &#036;250.00.
    I dont see a location for you, so you may be too far away to come.
    We are willing to go the extra mile to get people taken care of.
    [/b]
    I actually just talked to you last week. I&#39;m in Mesquite, so yeah, I&#39;m within range. Can&#39;t you just part with an STS for say, &#036;5-550?

Justin, can you tell me more abou the cam you mentioned on the phone? I thought you said something about one you guys were personally making or having made...?

i would say converter or cam. converter if you know how to remove your tranny.
    http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...o/789547ee.jpg
    1999 Silverado LS RCSB 5.3 Liter (16.02@83.5 bone stock) (with mods ??.?? @ ?)
    STS Turbo Kit (5 psi), GT67, STS Intercooler, 42lb/hrs, 255 Pump, 212 216 Comp Cam, Nelson STREET Tuned, Eaton LSD, 4.11&#39;s, Phoenix ReTrans Stage 3 4L60E, 160 t-stat, B&M Supercooler.

+ Reply to Thread