+ Reply to Thread

Thread: changing '99 5.3 knock sensor

I am going to help a friend out this sunday to change the knock sensor since it is throwing the engine light on. How long a job is it, and how tough is it to change? I heard that the upper intake needs to come off?
    99 Pewter SCSB
    DJM 4/6 drop, Hotchkis front/reat swaybars,Hypertech power programer, milled & built heads, Accel wires, distributer,coil, Mass Air Flow Sensor(mti motor sports, Granatelli),Dynomax UltraFlow Stainless, 17x8.5 Eagle Alloys, Escalade door handles, Suburban front grille, with clear corners and billet bowtie,Street Scene mirrors, Cowl Hood

Yep, intake manifold has to come off to access the sensors, there are two. While you have it off do the TB coolant hose bypass. Orielly has the intake seals for $20.99. Be sure you replace them while you have the intake off or you will likely have intake leaks afterwards. Check the wires throughly for breaks in the insulation. Corrosion in the wires will raise the resistance in the wire and cause bad feedback.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

I just had that done at the dealership, it was about a $250 job with me providing the intake gasket.

Chris
    2009 Silverado, HPTuners, all stock.

+ Reply to Thread