+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LS9 cam swap parts....

LS9 cam swap parts....

ok so i talked to my soon to be local dyno tuner. told him what i did and what my plans are and he gave me some advise. i told him i need to stay smog legal but was tossing the idea of a small cam around and he suggested the LS9 as it will still pass smog, sound stock, and is good for boost AND its CHEAP which is all exactly what i need.

i never really heard of the swap before but after a little searching, aparantly its somewhat common. yes there are better cams but im doing this on the cheap and need to stay legal and this is pretty much what i made my mind up on. so please dont tell me custom grind. there are so many different stories out there on what is needed for the swap and its confusing as everyones application is a little different. i think i got it down, just need confirmation and a couple questions answered..

PLEASE CONFIRM THIS IS WHAT I NEED:

1)LS9 cam
    2)LS9 valve springs (not needed but recomended) GM P/N 12625033
    3)2005 LS2 timing cover/cam sensor
    4)Extend cam sensor harnes and swap 2 outer wires
    5)1x cam gear with 3 bolts

MY QUESTIONS ARE:

1)Do I need the timing chain damper? if so, there are two... which one?
    2)Can i re-use existing timing chain? (im pretty sure i can...)
    3)Can i use any other timing cover from a gen 4 motor to broaden my availability or is itjust the 05 LS2 that will work?
    4)Can i use my stock pushrods? (1.7 i think??)

if there is anything i missed please let me know. also, i will be doing the trunion upgrade so my stock rockers will be suitable. Thanks!
    Last edited by kewljay223; 03-08-2014 at 11:44 AM.

Get a little ahead of ourselves here. Yes the ls9 swap can happen and stay smog legal. However, the conversion parts will cost you a fair bit so keep those costs in mind. I understand most of your goals here however if your totally against aftermarket cams(which can just as easily and cheaply pass emissions) then what about the LS6 cam? Cheaper, boost friendly, emissions friendly basically equal power gains to the LS9 arguably better manners on the street and better numbers at the track. Also much easier swap.
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

waiting to go in... 3.90s, 214/220cam

your right. I guess I came off a little hard headed headed about that cam. I'm not totally opposed to other cams. he did recommend a few other ls cams including the z06. but I figured go big or go home.

and yes I realize the other parts add to the cost too but I'm in no rush for this and I can wait for that good deal to come around.

you make a solid point about the ls6. I will look into that today. it will still require springs correct? which I think are the same part number I listed above...
    Last edited by kewljay223; 03-08-2014 at 11:54 AM.

Yes you can get LS9 springs from SDPC for about $60.
    If I had my choice I would go with the trickflow 216/220. Any decent tuner can get it to pass Cali emissions with flying colors. It also sells for under $300 on summit racing. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-30602001
    Add some valve springs for around $150 and pushrods for around $90 and your good to go other than gaskets, bolts and fluids which a basic cam swap kit from Texas speed is $62.
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

whats appealing about that cam is that its a direct swap. means way less work on sourcing parts and changing things around. but im still new to reading cam profiles so im not sure the benefits of it vs the stockers. the 114 lsa is aparantly the max to still pass smog from my research so thats good. plus it has almost identical lift as ls9. but i was under the impression that i needed more exhaust durration due to me keeping the stock exhaust manifolds. and that was part of the reason i was looking at the ls9 cam. although 220 is still better than my 207.... so i guess i shouldnt complain.

also, what springs are you talking about for 150!? based on the lift, wont the ls9 springs work just fine which are cheaper??? and im assuming pushrods will be same length, just hardened right?
    Last edited by kewljay223; 03-08-2014 at 02:39 PM.
    Like Tumbler in "Gone in 60" I'll drive anything with wheels or without

My 95 ECSB LQ9 build thread - http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...to-95-obs.html
    CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!
    Stock 03 LQ9, DBW, 95' 4l80e w/ Transgo shift kit, 2010 50# GM injectors, 2800 Circle D stall, Spectre CAI, Upgraded trans cooler, Home-made E-fans/shroud, Dual EP-381 fuel pumps w/Home-made hotwire kit
    NEXT ON LIST: Dual Battery setup, CAM/Valvetrain upgrade, Build my own rear mount turbo, TRU-TRAC, HIT THE STRIP!!!

Yes LS9 springs will work, but I wouldn't use them on any aftermarket cam with more than .540 lift. Just too much risk to justify saving $60. However, all cams are essentially a direct swap. In reality a normal 3bolt cam will be easier than Ls9 conversion.

hey kerrgie.... how do you think the cam you posted would do N/A for a while? i would like to get a tune right now but i figure i might as well wait until i throw a cam in.... i decided im going to stick one in... and the one you recomended is looking more and more enticing each day. anyway, it will be at least a year or so until i get around to getting the turbo on. just wondering how you think the cam will perform on my otherwise stock motor for the time being. i know i wont see any massive gains until the FI, but it wont make it worse than i am now right? or will it...?? if so then i might as well just wait until i can do it all at once u know? what you think?

My 95 ECSB LQ9 build thread - http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...to-95-obs.html
    CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!
    Stock 03 LQ9, DBW, 95' 4l80e w/ Transgo shift kit, 2010 50# GM injectors, 2800 Circle D stall, Spectre CAI, Upgraded trans cooler, Home-made E-fans/shroud, Dual EP-381 fuel pumps w/Home-made hotwire kit
    NEXT ON LIST: Dual Battery setup, CAM/Valvetrain upgrade, Build my own rear mount turbo, TRU-TRAC, HIT THE STRIP!!!

It will do great NA. I would expect great driveability with 60-70rwhp gains. I think you will be very happily surprised by the gains you will see NA.

60-70!!!??? on a stock-like cam on stock motor? that seems like a lot. im assuming your including a tune in that but still... ii was only assuming like 30-40 max. but that would be awesome! haha well, im still trying to take care of some other priorities right now but i cant wait to put this in and get tuned. ill def keep you posted.

hardened 7.4" pushrods are fine right?

i was looking at what TF recomended for springs with that cam and all they show are dual springs. this is one they recomend. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tf...6-16/overview/

but i see that a lot of guys are running PAC 1518s which im sure you know are beehives (AND SUPER EXPENSIVE!!). and the open pressure is significantly less... are the duals too much pressure for the lobes or no??? what do you recomend?
    Last edited by kewljay223; 03-16-2014 at 11:14 PM.

CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!

Beehives will be just fine and duals are simply better with a little extra insurrance. 7.4" hardened pushrods are what are needed most of the time, but you can't be sure without measuring. 60-70 is not unusual on a cam like that one. You can gain more than 100hp with a monster cam.

+ Reply to Thread