+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New member planning LY6 with 6L90 swap in dakota RT

New member planning LY6 with 6L90 swap in dakota RT

Hello all,

I have purchased a LY6 drop out with attached 6L90 transmission to swap into my Dakota RT. I have the current motor out, and have taken some measurements to see what will be required to fit it in.

Seems like it will go ok. I am planning on tearing the motor down when it arrives, and replacing bearings and gaskets, and measuring everything to check for wear. Is there anything else I should consider while I am doing this? I am new to LS, not to engines.

Any info would be appreciated.

Welcome ,sounds like a cool project ...how many miles on the ly6?

Personally, I would just put it in and only tear it down when you know for certain that something is wrong with it. These engines are damn near indestructible and tearing into a good one can result in having a bad engine afterwards. The LS based engines go for over 200,000 miles in stock form.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

Quote Originally Posted by RedHeartbeat View Post
    Personally, I would just put it in and only tear it down when you know for certain that something is wrong with it. These engines are damn near indestructible and tearing into a good one can result in having a bad engine afterwards. The LS based engines go for over 200,000 miles in stock form.
    Exactly what I was thinking slap it in and go

Any power adders or upgrade plans? If it were me. I'd gap the rings just in case u ever decide to push on it.
    single digit street truck

for build info

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...cs-garage.html

The best advice I have ever heard:... Only take B( . Y . )ST advice from someone that is CURRENTLY running a turbo setup close to, or bigger than what you want......

Thanks for the info. It has 100,000 on it. I am just tired of the old magnum making a paltry 200 hp to the rear wheels, and no support to do anything with them. I am glad that you guys feel I picked a good motor. It seems to make 350 or so HP with 380 tq. More than enough for now.

+ Reply to Thread