+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: New build high oil pressure concern

Thanks Greg. Let's all remember that volume and pressure are related but not joined at the hip. One can use a pump with either high pressure or high volume....or both. High volume sucks more power than low volume or high pressure and can over-oil the top starving the bottom. The LS has so much a better oil system than traditional small and big block engines it's tougher to do so. High pressure sucks less power than high volume but might also be unneeded. Call me what you want but in most of the builds on a site like this, a stock blueprinted/verified pump is the best.

Even though he builds mostly old school small blocks and an occasional big block, check out Joe Sherman. He has proven low pressure and low volume can make power as long as all the variables are under control to keep the motor safe....his builds routinely run small blocks about 8500 and big blocks past 7200 with common parts.

Quote Originally Posted by RedHeartbeat View Post
    I talked to the tech guys at scoggins dickey a while back about bigger volume pumps and they stated the worst case scenario would be the pump would drain the oil pan of oil. They stated these LS engines are notorious for holding all the oil in the topend and not draining back to the pan fast enough when you use a high volume pump. They claimed to see it happen on the dyno. Sounds like a real possible issue.

thanks Greg, i knew this in my case im running a high pressure pump not high volume, as of now im loading up the city miles ans keeping eye on oil levels, ill be due for a change here very soon, i think when i reach a certian mileage and i got to 10/30 and i still see a high oil pressure i think ill swap the springs to the blue one if not mistaken. i guess i learn in due time what will beed to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by GasGuzzler View Post
    Thanks Greg. Let's all remember that volume and pressure are related but not joined at the hip. One can use a pump with either high pressure or high volume....or both. High volume sucks more power than low volume or high pressure and can over-oil the top starving the bottom. The LS has so much a better oil system than traditional small and big block engines it's tougher to do so. High pressure sucks less power than high volume but might also be unneeded. Call me what you want but in most of the builds on a site like this, a stock blueprinted/verified pump is the best.

Even though he builds mostly old school small blocks and an occasional big block, check out Joe Sherman. He has proven low pressure and low volume can make power as long as all the variables are under control to keep the motor safe....his builds routinely run small blocks about 8500 and big blocks past 7200 with common parts.

GG i really appreciate the time you take to explain, i been doing alot of reading but also listening to the builder, as of now hes really not concerned about the PSI on the oil, basically wanting to get through the break in stage then go from there, worse case would be lets swap the spring in the pump.
    Simple: 408 on steroids!
    single digits coming soon!

Not to try and scare ya but I have seen a few of these motors running unusually high oil pressure. The problem they had was the cam bearings turning or not being installed correct. They blocked the oiling holes for the bearing causing the oil pressure to run higher.
    '04 Silverado RCSB with a crank bolt.

You know your truck sounds good when cops ask you to get on it.

Idle Clip

Not to disagree because we all experience things on our own but the very few I've seen with slipped or improperly installed cam bearing had very low pressure and no oil to the top.

It is fine to disagree. That is what motoring is about lol. The oil travels to the top before going to the cam bearings.

A passage runs from the pump along the driverside then up the the sensor from there it splits half going down one runner to the driverside lifters and the other half going around the back to the passengerside lifters, meeting back up at the front. Then from the passage that feeds the driverside lifter it drops and hits the cam bearings, then from the cam bearings on down to the crank bearings.
    '04 Silverado RCSB with a crank bolt.

You know your truck sounds good when cops ask you to get on it.

Idle Clip

thanks once agian guys, im at just over 500+ miles and shes running really strong, only drop in oil pressure is after a good hard run which then only drops 5 psi when hot , so far so good, i took sample of oil to work, for our lab tech to have a look, i pulled the oil filter cut it open and had very tiny tiny specs of metal nothing to serious as i brought it to the engine designer and builder and they said its look good
    Simple: 408 on steroids!
    single digits coming soon!

speaking of oil pressure, maybe one of yall can give me sum advice,just put longtubes on my 5.3 deleted the cats as well n now i have a noticable amount loss of oil pressure at wot, dont really think its an issue but it caught my attention cuz it did the full 80 psi at wot before n now it does 60 goes back down to 50 all while i got the pedal to the floor

+ Reply to Thread