+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bad News..

Bad News..

So, for two weeks I've been riding on pads that are gone, I was just scraping that little metal hook.. Went and changed the rear ones first last friday.. rode good and the squeeking was gone.. Saturday I changed the front ones, they still had some decent life left.. After I did a complete brake pad change, the trucks been riding like.Going around 45-55 the truck rattles like I'm on a dirt track.. took the front ones off to see, and they disc was loose, so we tightened those little spacers down (I didn't know the use of them until now, so they were never tightened).. went and ride and its still doing the same thing...Took the back ones off and noticed the passenger side was stuck, so at first I thought my diff went out, but upon further investigation I noticed that the passenger side was scorching hot, and that the caliper froze up.. I don't know if its just that one, but since I changed them the trucks been riding like. Hopefully somebody can help me out a little.. Pics followed..

Last edited by Moderator; 09-20-2011 at 11:34 AM.
    Run your motor, not your mouth..

04 ECSB 5.3 Sierra: 14.6@95
    Pacesetter Headers, Intake, Tune

for the rattle I won't know.

Have you changed the oring from the calliper, that comes in the Original GM Brake pad sets.

You should with every brake pad change.

When to old, the Calliper will get "stuck", and massive heat will be produced

thats what my friend said, the caliper probably froze up, because when we took them off again we couldn't collapse them anymore.. I'm going get some new calipers wednesday, they don't have any in stock and i won't get paid until wednesday.. hate to drive the truck, but I don't have anything else.. atleast school is only 3 miles away..

+1 on the caliper

I see it all the time, especially if they have never been changed before (given that your truck is almost 8 years old).
    2000 ECSB 5.3L with K&N CAI, true duals with flowmaster 40s, and 200k miles!

I've had the truck since 141k miles, and I'm at 160k miles now.. I guess the dumba** before me was smart enough to change just the front brakes.. but I still got the same trans and everything since it left the dealer.. got myself a job now, so its time to do some tune-ups and refreshments to it..

Did you clean and lube the bolts/sliding pins? If not they could be sticking.

Quote Originally Posted by 04SilverBullet View Post
    I've had the truck since 141k miles, and I'm at 160k miles now.. I guess the dumba** before me was smart enough to change just the front brakes.. but I still got the same trans and everything since it left the dealer.. got myself a job now, so its time to do some tune-ups and refreshments to it..
    Dont worry.... my truck didnt need the original factory brakes changed until after 165k miles. The rears still had pads left, but I changed them anyway.
    T-RAV
    99 GMC | 5.3 | Skinny White Guy Tuned

Why is it that where the e-brake rides is 195, but where the caliper meets the rotor is only 158? If the caliper was locked up wouldn't it be the other was around? It almost looks like a e-brake pads are dragging.
    2001 Silverado, work in progress. Add a vette servo and Nissan e-fans

Quote Originally Posted by slowxcab33 View Post
    Why is it that where the e-brake rides is 195, but where the caliper meets the rotor is only 158? If the caliper was locked up wouldn't it be the other was around? It almost looks like a e-brake pads are dragging.
    I think that is an issue with mine....drivers rear the outsidepad was gone and eating the rotor, but the inside pad was still perfect.
    T-RAV
    99 GMC | 5.3 | Skinny White Guy Tuned

Quote Originally Posted by slowxcab33 View Post
    the 195 is where the pads scraped the rotor, and the 158 is in front of the rotor that big roundish thing..

But I changed the passenger caliper today and went drive it and it drove fine.. gonna do the driver side tomorrow..

+ Reply to Thread