+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Throwing P0496

Quote Originally Posted by demonheavymetal View Post
    Sounds like a lil water in the gas...
    Count yourself among those that cannot even google P0496.

Quote Originally Posted by 04SilverBullet View Post
    I wasn't saying he didn't know, I just still didn't get what it was.. I have no idea what a purge solenoid is..
    You will find there are a few people on here that have the manners of a bitter old 90yr old man and the personality of a piece of concrete....ignore them!

EVAP system takes evaporated gas from your tank and puts it into the intake during closed loop mode to be burnt off with your normal a/f mixture. This keeps the treehuggers happy. Your code could have been cause by something as simple as your gas cap loose or missing. Get a shop manual and trace all of the plumbing of your evap emission system and check all fittings and tubing to make sure you dont have any cracks or disconnected lines. Then troubleshoot accordingly.
    Again...just let the bitter ones yank their own chain....they arent even worth the time to acknowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by remauto1187 View Post
    You will find there are a few people on here that have the manners of a bitter old 90yr old man and the personality of a piece of concrete....ignore them!

EVAP system takes evaporated gas from your tank and puts it into the intake during closed loop mode to be burnt off with your normal a/f mixture. This keeps the treehuggers happy. Your code could have been cause by something as simple as your gas cap loose or missing. Get a shop manual and trace all of the plumbing of your evap emission system and check all fittings and tubing to make sure you dont have any cracks or disconnected lines. Then troubleshoot accordingly.
    Again...just let the bitter ones yank their own chain....they arent even worth the time to acknowledge.

I am concrete or something but I can spell and know that 496 cannot be caused by a loose gas cap. So who wins? The nice guy that is wrong, or the concrete guy that makes house payments fixing stuff like P0496?

Quote Originally Posted by GasGuzzler View Post
    I am concrete or something but I can spell and know that 496 cannot be caused by a loose gas cap. So who wins? The nice guy that is wrong, or the concrete guy that makes house payments fixing stuff like P0496?
    It isn't the first time that someone with more knowledge than him has proven him wrong over and over.

Who's got two thumbs and is one of those guys? THIS GUY.
    Last edited by pl4yboy; 09-26-2011 at 12:10 PM.

1969 Chevy RCLB C10 350/TH400 SOLD
    2007 Chevy RCSB 4.8 4x4 LS SOLD
    2008 Chevy RCSB 5.3 4x4 LT SOLD
    2010 Chevy CCSB 6.2 4x4 LT SOLD
    2005 GMC CCLB DRW 6.6 Duramax 4x4 191,000 and counting
    2013 FORD CCSB F350 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4

Man, I think I see what you mean after reading through someone's posts. Said person has argued more than once and I never noticed. He has been wrong....well maybe internet "learned" more than once. I got it. I know what to do now. Thanks, Justin.

All the people I went to did say it could be from bad gas or untight gas caps..

I'm still a noob... havent been around vehicles as long as you guys..
    Run your motor, not your mouth..

04 ECSB 5.3 Sierra: 14.6@95
    Pacesetter Headers, Intake, Tune

Quote Originally Posted by 04SilverBullet View Post
    All the people I went to did say it could be from bad gas or untight gas caps..

I'm still a noob... havent been around vehicles as long as you guys..
    No offense was meant towards you. It just seems that a few people in this thread have a tendency to wear their asses for hats.

Hope this helps
    DTC P0496
    System Description
    This DTC tests for undesired intake manifold vacuum flow to the evaporative emission (EVAP) system. The control module seals the EVAP system by commanding the EVAP canister purge solenoid valve Closed and the EVAP canister vent solenoid valve Closed. The control module monitors the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor to determine if a vacuum is being drawn on the EVAP system. If vacuum in the EVAP system is more than a predetermined value within a predetermined time, this DTC sets.

The following table illustrates the relationship between the ON and OFF states, and the Open or Closed states of the EVAP canister purge and vent solenoid valves.

Control Module Command
    EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid Valve
    EVAP Canister Vent Solenoid Valve

ON
    Open
    Closed

OFF
    Closed
    Open

Conditions for Running the DTC
    DTCs P0106, P0107, P0108, P0112, P0113, P0116, P0117, P0118, P0120, P0121, P0122, P0123, P0125, P0131, P0132, P0133, P0134, P0135, P0136, P0137, P0138, P0140, P0141, P0151, P0152, P0153, P0154, P0155, P0156, P0157, P0158, P0160, P0161, P0220, P0442, P0443, P0449, P0452, P0453, P0455, P0502, P0503, P1111, P1112, P1114, P1115, P1121, P1122, P1125, P2135 are not set.
    The ignition voltage is between 10-18 volts.
    The barometric pressure (BARO) is more than 75 kPa.
    The fuel level is between 15-85 percent.
    The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is between 4-30°C (39-86°F).
    The intake air temperature (IAT) is between 4-30°C (39-86°F).
    The start up ECT and IAT are within 9°C (16°F) of each other.
    Conditions for Setting the DTC
    A continuous open purge flow condition is detected during the diagnostic test.
    The fuel tank pressure decreases to less than -11 inches H2O.
    Action Taken When the DTC Sets
    The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
    The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.
    Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
    • The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.

• A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.

• A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.

• Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.

Step
    Action
    Values
    Yes
    No

Schematic Reference: Emission Hose Routing Diagram

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check - Engine Controls?
    --
    Go to Step 2
    Go to Diagnostic System Check - Engine Controls

Start the engine.
    Seal the evaporative emission (EVAP) system using the Purge/Seal function with a scan tool.
    Increase the engine idle to 1,200-1,500 RPM.
    Observe the fuel tank pressure sensor in H2O with a scan tool.
    Is the fuel tank pressure sensor parameter within the specified value?
    -1 to +1 in H2O
    Go to Intermittent Conditions
    Go to Step 3

Turn OFF the ignition.
    Disconnect the EVAP purge pipe from the EVAP purge solenoid valve.
    Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
    Observe the fuel tank pressure sensor in H2O with a scan tool.
    Is the fuel tank pressure sensor parameter within the specified range?
    -1 to +1 in H2O
    Go to Step 4
    Go to Step 5

Replace the EVAP purge solenoid valve. Refer to Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Solenoid Valve Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?
    --
    Go to Step 6
    --

Replace the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor. Refer to Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?
    --
    Go to Step 6
    --

Connect all EVAP hardware that was previously disconnected.
    Seal the EVAP system using the Purge/Seal function with a scan tool.
    Start the engine and idle at 1,200-1,500 RPM.
    Observe the fuel tank pressure sensor parameter with a scan tool.
    Is the fuel tank pressure sensor parameter within the specified range?
    -1 to +1 in H2O
    Go to Step 7
    Go to Step 2

Observe the Capture Info with a scan tool.

Are there any DTCs that have not been diagnosed?
    --
    Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List
    System OK

I guess a loose or missing gas cap would NEVER cause the in tank pressure sensor to get a reading of atmospheric pressure huh? Do i really have to goto a helm manual and scan a photo of all causes/fixes in the factory troubleshooting chart just to show you that you are talking out of your a$$? You 2 do nothing but TRY to talk down to others on this forum and anytime someone says anything contrary to what you say they are automatically wrong. And then the icing on the cake you attack new guys that are trying to learn.
    That like i said makes you stuck with the personality of concrete and the manner of a 90yr old bitter old man.

Imagine that....you 2 are from texas and oklahoma. So much for hospitality and manners of the south.

Lmao.

2013 CC 5.3
    81 C10 LS1 project

+ Reply to Thread