+ Reply to Thread

Thread: quick question to end a on going debate

quick question to end a on going debate

will switching from a 20 inch rim with 285 mudders to a 17 in rim with 285 street tires make a noticable change in get up and go and gas milage?
    Built 2 Run! 6XX HP/ 6XX TQ

Really depends on weight and tire diameter. A street tread SHOULD get better mileage then a mud tire, and most 17's are lighter then 20's, but not always. If they are weld 20's and some bling bling chrome 17's, you'll lose power and mileage with the smaller wheels.

I went from 33's to 35's and lost about 3mpg. I went from 35's to 36's and actually picked up 1 or 2 mpgs. The 36's are heavier, but don't grip the road as well, so there is less friction.
    blown transmissions are about as useful as 97% of the guys on this forum

Quote Originally Posted by darnie1987 View Post
    will switching from a 20 inch rim with 285 mudders to a 17 in rim with 285 street tires make a noticable change in get up and go and gas milage?
    Yes
    '02 Silvy: Z71 EC Step Side 5.3L Nelson tuned
    2013 GMC Acadia: SLT1 Carbon Black
    1976 Corvette Stingray: Trying to save it, progress is slow.

^Ricky's Sweet PS Skilz
    09/21/2010 02:31 <danger_ranger83> I'm not really worried about the looks...I want it to be fast and ugly...bc no one wants to get outrun by something ugly

ok thats what i though my buddie keeps trying to tell me that i wont? and i know for a fact my 20in rims by them selfs are tanks there heavy as crap, and im gunna go with a 17in titan rim and i know that its gotta be lighter, and everyone knows a street tires lighter than a mudder, less plys and less extra tread there for the new set up should be lighter thus giving me better gas mileage and possibly better get up and go right?
    Built 2 Run! 6XX HP/ 6XX TQ

in your case yes. You will probably pick up .1-.2 in 1/4 and about 1.5 mpg.
    blown transmissions are about as useful as 97% of the guys on this forum

+ Reply to Thread