+ Reply to Thread

Thread: '97 5.7liter vortec back to carb

'97 5.7liter vortec back to carb

is there anyone who can tell me exactly everything that i will need to swap my 5.7 liter vortec back to carb? I know i have to change the tranny to take out the computer totally.

a bullet to the head!
    the trans would have to be converted to a full manual valve body.

actually edelbrock (I believe) makes an add on TPS and seperate trans pcm that can control 700R4's and 4l60E's....just came out with it recently and the price wasn't too bad.

We did this on my buddy's 94 2 years ago. His was manual, so was a bit easier. But basically, change intake manifold/throw on a carb. Put a fuel pressure regulator on fuel line to drop it down to the 6-8 psi you'll need for carb. His distributor worked fine BUT he never got different timing then what was set at idle, so find a older distributor that had a vacuum advance, to get full benefit of higher RPM.

He was having hella time with the old TBI setup, we did the conversion in a a night, and put in cam/headers, truck woke up SO much after that.
    blown transmissions are about as useful as 97% of the guys on this forum

you could probably run the PCM in the truck and just cut out the fuel injection bit and keep the rest to control the trans.

somebody must know how to tune it
    [IMG]https://images.app.goo.gl/XLfskemekXBo5VfS7/IMG]
    www.tjc.edu

The hell with carbs, fuel injection rules, but carbs do make better # if you have the pataice to mess with them

BB

Quote Originally Posted by oleshifty View Post
    Put a fuel pressure regulator on fuel line to drop it down to the 6-8 psi you'll need for carb.
    but you will need a return style regulator.
    mallory makes a return style regulator that works good for this application as well.
    you wil probably want to get a bigger return line for the fuel as well.

+ Reply to Thread