+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help with Lift Kit dynamics...

Talking Help with Lift Kit dynamics...

Hopefully this isn't the same 'ole run of the mill lift question...but if it is...sorry!

I've been looking at different brands of Lift kits...and for the most part they are pretty much all the same...if you break them down into a few categories. This is where I get lost. I was at the local 4WheelParts store here in the Indianapolis area and I asked about the differences between the kits. The guy said that there are those kits that lift using stretched or drop knuckles, and those that use drop cross members. I asked which were better...and the guy said it depends on who you ask...the owner or the installer. If it is the installer...they will always choose the drop knuckle kit because they are so much easier to install, and that's all he said about it. That may be true...but it's not a good enough reason...unless I do the install myself...however 4WheelParts is offering $500 off of installation until the end of March.

Anyway...can someone help me by explaining the differences better, or can you point me to a site that explains it better. As far as cost...the drop knuckle kit was ~$1416.00 and the cross member kit was ~$1417.00...a big one dollar difference. The kits the guy was trying to sell were ProComp...since they own 4WheelParts stores.

Any help would be great!

Rick

'04 Black Chevy Silverado LT Ext Cab Z71 4x4
    Westin SS Step Bars / Lorado Tonneau Cover / Rhino Liner / Suspension Maxx Leveling kit / Hankook 33x12.5x16 MT Tires / Mickey Thompson Classic II 16x10 / 3" PA Body Lift / AEM Brute CAI / Chrome & Carbon Fiber-like Grill w/ Red Bowtie / Dual Cat-back with Flowmaster muffler

i personally have the rough country kit and its a very good kit. i like it alot. very easy install. they are on sale right now for 1000, they have the kicker brace and steering stabiler options and i have had no probs. its a drop knuckle kit but my cv angles are perfect. ball joints are at good angles. i just recommend is the cognito motorsports idler/pitman arm kit. i did that as well. i am on 36x13.50 tires, have held a very good alignment after 6000 miles. and ive messed around alot testing this lift out. i also recomend the tie rod end kit from cognito or at least tie rod end sleeves. the stockers are pathetic and with big tires/ rims they will have that much more leverage. imho if it were me, id get the rcx, take the 400 you'd save from the lift and the 500 from the install. install it myself. but the tie rod kit and idler pitman arm kit and a few cases of beer to recruit your friends. and be ready to do gearing, it will be your next step because you should be able to slear 37's with ur body lift as well
    Today 03:25 am 6 stringer o thats a good point, its ok ill just add a blinker fluid cooler
    Today 03:24 AMtruckinL33 that's not a good place for it, you can overheat your blinker fluid with the capacitor
    Today 03:23 AMtruckinL33 i need them for when i go back to 1985
    Today 03:23 AM6stringer i mounted my flux capacitor next to my blinker fluid resevoir
    Today 03:22 AMtruckinL33 me too, right next to my flux compasator!
    Today 03:22 AM6stringer hey gear oil needs to be cooled, i have front and rear diff coolers

I THINK that the knuckle kit will give you more ground clearance, but the drop crossmember kit keeps you more STOCKISH, my old avy had a bds crossmember kit, you can check it out at car domain, search for 2002 avalanche, st8kfinger, or near huntington indiana
    procharger p1sc, nelson tune, 42# marine injectors, walbro 255, lt's, ory, 4" volant cat back, PerformaBuilt level 2 pro race trans, trans. cooler with e fan, 2500 stall, aem wideband, energy bushings, spohn perf. trailing and panhard rods, mb & gear alloy 22's ( ya 2 sets, im big ballin), ss brake lines, drilled & slotted rotors, bla bla bla bla bla bla bla,
    and ya it will beat a hemi.

Get a knuckle kit. It maintains the stock steering geometry.

As for purchasing, try 4X4 Wheels, Tires, Lift Kits, Winches, & Accessories for Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Jeep, Toyota & Nissan 4 Wheel Drive Vehicles @ NTW

I have ran both the Skyjacker and the Super Lift kits. Both are well made and simple install. But over all, i would recommend that Super Lift as long as you don't mind welding in a small plate.
    2013 CC 5.3
    81 C10 LS1 project

steer clear of rough country IMO

procomps drop kit is a biatch to install from what i've heard compared to your usual knuckle kits. go with a full drop bro cause once your comfortable with it you can crank it another 2 inchs and have a 8 inch lift kit. if i had my Z71 to do all over again i'd scrap the RCX i had and bolt on a superlift 7.5 or the procomp. cognito, rcd, and cst are all GREAT lift kits but fourwheelparts doesn't carry them
    2009 CHEVROLET 1500 with a MONSTER 4.8 between the frame rails!!

Tuned by LSX Powersports ~ 4.10 ~ JBA Shorties ~ 4" Inlet/Outlet Spintech ~ Airaid Coldair
    CST 3.5" Spindles ~ Camburg Upper Control Arms ~ 2.5" CCM ~ FFR Tie Rods
    Full Throttle Suspension 3" Lift Blocks ~ Soft 8s wrapped in LT285/70/17 Silent Armors

WOW...all kinds of ideas and opinions...sure makes it hard to decide what direction to go...except that the majority of the comments save one recommended the Knuckle drop kit.

I obviously do not want to try a kit just to determine that it sucks...so allow me to include how the truck will be used. It is my DD and it is driven mostly on city streets...some highway but not much...some offroad on weekends but again not much. Does this make any difference regarding recommendations?

Does anyone know with the 3" body plus a 6" suspension lift with 35'ish tires if this will clear normal garage door openings? I think the garage door is 7'.

Any other suggestions or recommendations?

Rick

'04 Black Chevy Silverado LT Ext Cab Z71 4x4
    Westin SS Step Bars / Lorado Tonneau Cover / Rhino Liner / Suspension Maxx Leveling kit / Hankook 33x12.5x16 MT Tires / Mickey Thompson Classic II 16x10 / 3" PA Body Lift / AEM Brute CAI / Chrome & Carbon Fiber-like Grill w/ Red Bowtie / Dual Cat-back with Flowmaster muffler

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMagic04 View Post
    WOW...all kinds of ideas and opinions...sure makes it hard to decide what direction to go...except that the majority of the comments save one recommended the Knuckle drop kit.

I obviously do not want to try a kit just to determine that it sucks...so allow me to include how the truck will be used. It is my DD and it is driven mostly on city streets...some highway but not much...some offroad on weekends but again not much. Does this make any difference regarding recommendations?

Does anyone know with the 3" body plus a 6" suspension lift with 35'ish tires if this will clear normal garage door openings? I think the garage door is 7'.

Any other suggestions or recommendations?

Rick

9" of lift is going to dwarf 35" tires. You could easily run some 37s or 38s.

1969 Chevy RCLB C10 350/TH400 SOLD
    2007 Chevy RCSB 4.8 4x4 LS SOLD
    2008 Chevy RCSB 5.3 4x4 LT SOLD
    2010 Chevy CCSB 6.2 4x4 LT SOLD
    2005 GMC CCLB DRW 6.6 Duramax 4x4 191,000 and counting
    2013 FORD CCSB F350 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4

my avalanche 2500 with a 6" bds lift and 325/50/20 tires barely fit under my garage door, im 6' tall and the truck is quite a bit taller than i am
    procharger p1sc, nelson tune, 42# marine injectors, walbro 255, lt's, ory, 4" volant cat back, PerformaBuilt level 2 pro race trans, trans. cooler with e fan, 2500 stall, aem wideband, energy bushings, spohn perf. trailing and panhard rods, mb & gear alloy 22's ( ya 2 sets, im big ballin), ss brake lines, drilled & slotted rotors, bla bla bla bla bla bla bla,
    and ya it will beat a hemi.

6'' suspension and 3'' BL = no garage. And 35's will be fine. Thats the setup I ran. I am a fan of larger open fenders, not the stuffed look.
    2013 CC 5.3
    81 C10 LS1 project

dude 6+3 will not dwarf 35s. i ran that and thought it was just right. i can't stand stuffed trucks. think about flex when your getting your tires for the amount of lift you want too.
    2009 CHEVROLET 1500 with a MONSTER 4.8 between the frame rails!!

Tuned by LSX Powersports ~ 4.10 ~ JBA Shorties ~ 4" Inlet/Outlet Spintech ~ Airaid Coldair
    CST 3.5" Spindles ~ Camburg Upper Control Arms ~ 2.5" CCM ~ FFR Tie Rods
    Full Throttle Suspension 3" Lift Blocks ~ Soft 8s wrapped in LT285/70/17 Silent Armors

+ Reply to Thread