+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Wait4Me Performance

Some people couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag, that's me when it comes to tuning. That is why I trust NelsonPerformance to do my tuning.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

i had a Wait4Me tune on the 4.3 & was impressed with it - better throttle response, a little better fuel economy, and he was pretty helpful with any questions.

then it came time for my 5.3 swap...

after talking with him about the tuning for that, he mentioned never doing a 4.3 -> LS swap but he shouldn't have any problems with it. even with needing a newer computer (the 99s still used the black one) and changing from GenII to GenIII, he agreed to do a free update (just returning my tuned PCM along with my stock one - fine with me, i didn't need either of them anymore).

when my new computer got here & the engine swap was done, the truck wouldn't start. after four days of probing & testing, i found out the coils weren't being told to fire. the whole time, the other guys at the shop & i were thinking it was the tune but every time i'd talk to Jesse about it, he would insist stronger & stronger that there was nothing wrong with the computer - that it was the engine/harness/whatever and was eventually getting kinda short with me when i'd call. that's when i started calling Jared @ Current Performance again (he worked on my harness) and Jonathan @ Nelson and from all the help they were (Jonathan not even having anything to do with this process), we narrowed it surely down to the tune. that's when i put it in my friend's truck & got the exact same no-fire. when i called Jesse & informed him of my findings, he seemed like he couldn't believe what he was hearing, but did a retune & sure enough, it started without a hitch.

just when i was so happy he fixed it (he never actually said what he did to correct it), i got to test driving and realized my truck felt a lot "faster" than what it showed & thought it was just me not being used to driving it (it was down 5 months), but then when i noticed i was constantly flying by everybody & my odometer didn't line up with the mile markers, i knew something was up. yay! i got to call Jesse again... he sounded so thrilled to hear my voice again asking him to double-check what gear & tire size he programmed: he replied 265/75-16s with 3.73 gears - just what i told him was in the truck. the problem is that after comparing the speedometer to actual speed (calculated using a calculator, RPMs, trans & rear gear ratios, tire size and my brother in a pace car) it turned out that it's reading like it's programmed with 4.10s (at least according to the math). i believe that mistake is what's causing me to get these same SES codes every now an then - P0704, P0200, and P0102. those deal with going certain supposed speeds without a change in the clutch switch, possible TPS errors (the idle's kinda rough, very low [450-500], and sometimes just stalls), and MAP errors (i'm guessing it's expecting certain engine loads with certain "supposed" speeds & throttle position). i still ain't figured these out yet, but i plan on getting another tune from somebody else to see if that fixes my problems.

the guys at Nelson seem to have their act together & were very helpful when i called. another option i've heard really great things about is BlackBear Performance. i still need to give him a call & see what he offers, but from everybody i've talked to who've had him tune their trucks, they talk about Justin like y'all talk about Allen.

all i know is that i won't be using Wait4Me again.

sorry this was so long
    00 FRC - just top end, exhaust, and a hot-air intake
    99 Sierra - 5.3 / 5spd
    ↓ click the pic for the build ↓

I used Wait4me when i originally did my swap...then retuned later on due to it running so bad. Retune still runs wicked rich and has no top end...Filled out the nelson tune form last night after i ordered my new cam.
    Everytime I called on the phone Jesse seemed to have an attitude and always blamed something else for the problems.
    I won't ever be back there.
    There's no replacement for displacement.

+ Reply to Thread