+ Reply to Thread

Thread: May be Building a Tranny

May be Building a Tranny

So my buddy's tranny went out today (lost 3rd driving back to school) and he asked me to help him rebuild it. If we end up doing it, are there any special tricks I should know, that or any specialized tools I might need? I've built a tranny before, but never a 60e, so any tips are appreciated.
    Always buying things I dont need to impress people I dont know

Take it to someone that does it for a living, they will have the tools. There are a lot of specialty tools needed to rebuild a 60e. I had to build a lot of tools to do mine and still don't have all the right ones to remove bushings and such. Places like Cottmans will usually redo a 60e for about $700 or less if you carry it in. Take the converter with you so they can flush it or buy a rebuilt unit.

Have him take to a trans shop and have it checked out before tearing into it, the problem may be nothing more than a 2-3 shift solenoid.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

I'll mention that to him. Also, didn't know they were quite that tricky to rebuild.

Talked to the guy today, he decided to go with a reman unit. Also, it wasn't the 2-3 shift solenoid, apparently he overheated it to the point the fluid was boiling out the dipstick tube. No idea how he managed that. Glad it will just be a swap instead of trying to rebuild it though.

First of all....It is FALSE ECONOMY to reuse a torque converter that just had a transmission frag behind it. Stuff gets stuck in there then ends up in your new tranny and guess what....you get to do it again...real soon!

I wouldn't advise anyone to learn how to rebuild a tranny without a qualified person that has done it for a living for years standing over their shoulders for atleast 10 of the same model of tranny. Its just not the special tools that are needed but the know how as well. You will need to know how to test the tranny with compressed air to check seals during assembly and after. You will need to know where and when to apply air for checks and will more importantly need to know how to identify a problem and the know how to correct/diagnose it. No sense in building a tranny with a substantial amount of money in parts and torque converter just to have to tear it down again in less than 100miles because you screwed it up during assembly. Its definitely an art. Not as easy as changing a cam or replacing head gaskets, etc.

+ Reply to Thread