+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 05 E Fan and Blinking Lights

Since I installed my E fans, I noticed that whenever the compressor cycles on, the headlights and instrument cluster lights take a blink. Since I haven't tripped the engine fan yet, I don't know what will happen when both fans are on. So, the questions are:

1. Is it an alternator issue that it is too small?

2. Is it ok for the lights to blink? IOW, is it ok but just irritating?

TIA

You to , I have a 145 amp alt , and lights blink and amp gage shows big time draw , not to sure about this wiring harness , it hooks up at the junction where the alt and battery merg , I mean most cars and trucks with factory fans do not do this so why with this harness does it do it (shows large draw when fans turn on ) .
    I was just wondering if there was some way to put a resisitor in line to keep amp draw down , say at the junction of alt ,battery and fan wires or if I have the wrong wire in the wiring loom from the block (a/c clutch) ?
    Also noticed that the relay wiring gets very hot (drk/bl wires).
    Now what is a tune again?

Comp Cam 54-412-11 , Int:265, 212, .522 , Exh: 271, 218, .529 , LSA 114 , Longtube , CAI (Vararam) , TransGo HD2 shift kit , tuned by me with EFILive

Sounds like the wire is too small and acting like a fuse. I would attempt to see what guage wire is run in the 2005s. I would bet it's 10 guage.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

The wire from the alt to the junction is a fusealbe link . I think that means if there was to much draw on it , it would burn into to prevent any damage ? So has anyone tried the larger gage wire and it solved the problem or that just a guess ?

Comp Cam 54-412-11 , Int:265, 212, .522 , Exh: 271, 218, .529 , LSA 114 , Longtube , CAI (Vararam) , TransGo HD2 shift kit , tuned by me with EFILive

The larger guage wire would be from the battery to the relays and then from the relays to the fans. Also, when wiring electrical circuits you must have the same size wire for your ground as you do for the power source. Make sure you have a very good battery to chassis/body ground to handle the load. When I built my fans circuits I went from the battery thru a fuse directly to the fans and then I installed the relay on the ground circuits and went directly back to the battery from the relay. Each fan has it's own relay and is activated by the PCM ground. I never had battery problems with it setup that way.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

A friend of mine recently bought an 05 GMC ec z71 and his lights flicker when the fans first come on at night.
    http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...dited-copy.jpg
    2007 Sierra crew 5.3 4wd, stock for now
    2004 Sierra scsb 5.3 - sold
    02 Z28 SLP cold air pack, Corsa exh, Center Force dual friction + 23 lb flywheel
    66 Chevy C20 (collecting dust)

Uhm , this is a Nelson Harness I am talking about , not a home made one ! Do you think he skimped on the wiring then.

I DO have the nelson harness.

Maybe it's not sized for the 2005 fans but good for the LS1 light duty fans. The 2005 fans are monsters. I have a set of them in a box waiting to be installed. Takes a lot of current to turn them big bastages I am sure. I know I won't underbuild my harness. 40w relays for me. Maybe they need a capacitor inline to handle the power surge at startup. Add a .5 farad capacitor from a car audio system to handle the load? I think a full 1 farad cap would be overkill.

Ok , could you by any chance draw up something like you are talking about the way you would do the wiring ?
    I wish Allen would chim in on this topic , but I guess he is to busy to bother with such small stuff as this.
    Do you know if Allen has two types of fan harnesses or one fits all kind of thing ?
    The fans are the stock 2005 fans not after market fans.

+ Reply to Thread