+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cutting out at high volume...

cutting out at high volume...

I have an alpine 60x4 headunit, and pioneer speakers all the way around (except driver rear door...blew it, so i just took it out)

I have the factory tweeters hooked up.

If i turn the volume above like 25 out of 32, it like cuts off like i popped a breaker, then comes right back on a few seconds later. Only does it on harder hitting beats.

I didn't have the tweeters hooked up for a while, and never noticed it. I tried fading the front/rear speakers to see if it went away, and it doesn't seem to do it when JUST the rears are on.

Anyone else have this problem? Not sure if i need a bigger power wire for stereo, or if the tweeters or changing the ohms of the system and it's imbalanced at higher volumes.

I rarely ever have it THAT loud, but it's annoying when it cuts out and im blaring the radio (when parked in field and we're working away from truck,etc)
    blown transmissions are about as useful as 97% of the guys on this forum

Had that issue with a my friends amp, it had a bad fuse holder that wasn't letting the juice flow. We replaced it and never had that problem again.
    cjriojas:if you're weather man is a 5 gallon bucket, YOUUUUUUUUUUU might be a redneck
    danger_ranger83: I see now why it cost so much to get a harness made... FML
    2boostedSilverado: I like Casey's rear end, I want to chat with him about it

Quote Originally Posted by oleshifty View Post
    I have an alpine 60x4 headunit, and pioneer speakers all the way around (except driver rear door...blew it, so i just took it out)

I have the factory tweeters hooked up.

If i turn the volume above like 25 out of 32, it like cuts off like i popped a breaker, then comes right back on a few seconds later. Only does it on harder hitting beats.

I didn't have the tweeters hooked up for a while, and never noticed it. I tried fading the front/rear speakers to see if it went away, and it doesn't seem to do it when JUST the rears are on.

Anyone else have this problem? Not sure if i need a bigger power wire for stereo, or if the tweeters or changing the ohms of the system and it's imbalanced at higher volumes.

I rarely ever have it THAT loud, but it's annoying when it cuts out and im blaring the radio (when parked in field and we're working away from truck,etc)
    Sounds like the internal amp is going into protect mode.

1969 Chevy RCLB C10 350/TH400 SOLD
    2007 Chevy RCSB 4.8 4x4 LS SOLD
    2008 Chevy RCSB 5.3 4x4 LT SOLD
    2010 Chevy CCSB 6.2 4x4 LT SOLD
    2005 GMC CCLB DRW 6.6 Duramax 4x4 191,000 and counting
    2013 FORD CCSB F350 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4

ya...just not sure WHY lol

Because your speakers are begging for juice and it can't put out enough anymore?

1969 Chevy RCLB C10 350/TH400 SOLD
    2007 Chevy RCSB 4.8 4x4 LS SOLD
    2008 Chevy RCSB 5.3 4x4 LT SOLD
    2010 Chevy CCSB 6.2 4x4 LT SOLD
    2005 GMC CCLB DRW 6.6 Duramax 4x4 191,000 and counting
    2013 FORD CCSB F350 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4

....or you have your tweeters wired in parallel and they should be in series with the fronts. Try this out. on the input to the speaker(wire that goes from radio to speaker) connect + to +on speaker. then from - of speaker go to + of tweeter, then from - of tweeter go to - of input. it will make it an 8 ohm circuit but it shouldn't cut out anymore. head units are 4-8ohm stable, not 2ohm. if you have the tweets wired parallel to the speaks then you are at a 2ohm load.
    2005 black Yukon XL SLT - traded in for me wife's new Fusion (GM sucks these days)
    2002 black Yukon SLT (the skinny sister)
    1969 green Pontiac GTO (Layla, AKA the black sheep)

INSTALLS AND MORE.. http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...-low-life.html
    Sticky/broken gauges? I can help. PM me for details.

I used all factory wiring. I'm assuming it was series not parrallel...but i guess it's a possibility. I just swapped factory speakers for pioneers, and left tweeters alone.

Quote Originally Posted by oleshifty View Post
    I used all factory wiring. I'm assuming it was series not parrallel...but i guess it's a possibility. I just swapped factory speakers for pioneers, and left tweeters alone.
    Ahhhh okay, I was thinking you had added aftermarket tweeters. In that case, try disconnecting the factory tweeters. I usually disconnect them anyway if I'm adding new coax's because the new speakers will have a better tweeter in them rendering the factory ones useless. Try that and let me know how that works for you, sometimes I've been able to access the plug by pulling the window switches, not having to remove the whole panel(as if it were diffucult).
    2005 black Yukon XL SLT - traded in for me wife's new Fusion (GM sucks these days)
    2002 black Yukon SLT (the skinny sister)
    1969 green Pontiac GTO (Layla, AKA the black sheep)

INSTALLS AND MORE.. http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...-low-life.html
    Sticky/broken gauges? I can help. PM me for details.

+ Reply to Thread