+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What sockets does everyone use or prefer? My new SK's...

What sockets does everyone use or prefer? My new SK's...

I had bought a set from Home Depot that were actually decent. Husky brand, black, etched sizes on the side, very easy to read. Except they wouldn't stay in the blasted case. Open the case and the sockets would be all over the place. I don't care how good they are or if they did have a lifetime warranty. So I took those back...

Took that money and went to Lowes and got a set of their Kobalt thru-ratchets & sockets. The Kobalt site shows them pretty well. The case feels very light when you pick it up, so the immediate thought is "cheap". But I like the set. The ratchets feel really good, they have a lifetime warranty, and the "through" feature is pretty cool. Oh and I also got a set of their metric ratchet wrenches.

My only complaint is that I like to use my cordless DeWalt drill with a 3/8" or 1/4" socket adapter sometimes instead of hand-ratcheting something off or on. Given the design of the sockets and extensions - I can't do that. And, you can't use standard extensions in conjunction with the Kobalt extensions if trying to reach hard-to-reach nuts or bolts. A couple of minor irritations. Other than that, I like them.

But I've also been eyeing some SK sets. They're also lifetime warranty. Other nice features are they grab the side of the bolt or nut, not the corners. They're a bit more pricey of course (but not overpriced IMO) and I haven't seen any 1/4" and 3/8" combination kits.

Anyway...post up what you like, what you use, what you would use if you could afford it, and why...
    Last edited by DamnYankee; 06-29-2008 at 05:58 PM.

snap on tools in our shop... got a good deal on em and anything goes wrong with them regaurdless they replace it

if i could affor it i would get a full functional shop with tool boxes along the walls to the ceiling... all snap on... all bright a$$ red
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnYankee View Post
    lol...I wish you would never paint your truck...I bet it bugs them that much more that a primered up truck just soggied his Wheaties. good job buddy
    sprayedenali: i like catching, but not fishing
    DBTBSS: bring Tyler... we need someone to make fun of
    MidnightRider: your right im gay
    DamnYankee: my nana failed
    DamnYankee: confused...if it can't keep up to begin with, how can it keep up
    mitch cobb racing: ya, allen played with it for a while, HUGE difference

most of my tools are from tool trucks, i have a good collection of snap-on, mac and matco tools...

here at the house i do not have my big box just have some craftsman stuff which works great for car stuff... most of my tool truck sockets are 12 point since most aircraft hardward is 12 point... the only thing i hve found that i dont like are the cheap china knock off junk... the stuff frrom Home depot and lowes is descent quality for the money IMO...
    I am gonna be a new Daddy...

Drive it like you live hard and fast....
    '91 rcsb, 4.3 V6, 700R4 trans swap, 4/6 drop rolling on 18's, roll pan, 2" cowl hood, electric fan, TBI injector spacer, K&N filter replacement, flowmaster muffler...

[Today 08:09 AM] ChevyLee: dale would make a awesome dad in law too

personally if they dont say china or taiwan on them they are good to go, personally we put to the test a few wrenches at work, snap on vs. pomark and we broke the snapon jaws off with a 1 ft. cheater and it took a 3ft cheater to break the promark.. not saying go buy promark from wally world, it was just something we decided to do at work.. hahahaha we were bored plus this guy was talking **** about how good his wrenches were... promark is a run off of proto. by the way i work for a refinery.. not an automotive shop
    Simple: 408 on steroids!
    single digits coming soon!

I use Craftsman and Napa Brand, all are lifetime warrenty.

DBYRD Guest
    i work at lowe's and Kobalt tools were made by snap-on for the longest time. i believe we recently changed manufacturers but im not sure on that. i have all craftsman tools(from before i worked at lowe's) and love them except some of the chrome is peeling off(they are laser etched dont know if that has anything to do with it). i have a 27 inch tool box Kobalt branded reg price is ~$300(it's just the top for now) and i got it for $18 cuz they changed the item number. i pick up a lot of stuff clearance or nonstock really cheap so if anyone wants a product review hit me up. all of kobalts hand tools have lifetime warranties(even the tape measures) so if they ever start looking bad or malfunction in any way u can take them to ur closest lowe's and have them replaced. btw i believe our tool boxes are made by better built...

Quote Originally Posted by foggy View Post
    I use Craftsman and Napa Brand, all are lifetime warrenty.
    Forgot about NAPAs tools...you like them?

Yes, I have never had any problems with them.

i have a bunch of husky sockets and wrenchs and they seem to do pretty well. the few times i snapped a few they get replaced for free by home depot.
    i have some of those craftsman wrenchs that the closed end has a ratcheting feature, i really like them. while they arent super tough they make tight areas so much easier to work with.

1996 gmc ext cab short bed
    6.6L 4l80e
    MY GARAGE

craftsman even though they are expensive. i got some other tools, they are from sams club, and were really cheap but come with a life time warranty and are craftsman look a likes. they are OK.

+ Reply to Thread