+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast

Thread: Official NBS 4.3v6 to GEN 3 V8 swap Guide

Just found a set on LS1TECH. So good to go for now, hopefully when i get home next week ill be able to finish this.
    2006 RCSB silverado 1500 4x4 - 5.3 V8 5 speed

One more set of questions, for now. I just read through every page of this, as well as your build thread zebra. I have a 4x4 (manual not auto thank god) and as mentioned above i have a 5 speed truck. My harness is for an auto so i have all the trans connectors for a 60E. Motor is already in, wiring harness hooked up other then the trans harness obviously. I couldnt find where you said you had posted something about a jumper for the the clutch pedal. And also, what do i need to do about my trans. Am i going to have to pull my harness back out and send it to have the trans harness modified like you did? Or do i have any other options?

Also i read on one of the pages in here that someone had posted up the part number for the frame mounts on a 2wd v8 truck. His part number for the "right side" assuming passenger? matched the part number for the right side 4wd frame mount that i ordered. Is the mount the same on the passenger side between 2wd and 4wd. Or did i somehow screw up and order the wrong mount. The gm website said the part number was for a v8 4wd 1/2 ton. So if it is indeed the same, i already have that mount, and all i need is the drivers side mount.

Part numbers i gathered for a 1/2 ton 4wd; left: 15113849 // right: 15113847
    Part numbers from this thread for 1/2 ton 2wd: left: 15113849 // right: 15113848

anybody look into this and give me some insight?

Also my truck also already has electric fans. The 5.3 engine and harness i bought did not. Is my electric fans still going to run? I know there is a seperate harness running up from the electric fans, but my v6 engine harness has one extra conector by the fuse box that plugged into another connector that comes out of the harness coming up from the elctric fans. My v8 harness didnt have this connector. And im wondering if that had anything to do with making my electric fans work.

Edit: Called current perfromance this morning about the haness deal. They said to convert my trans harness to my 5 speed, and change the o2 sensor connections to female from male so they will just plug right in, would be $450. That sound right? Also asked him about the electric fan issue, and he said he thinks that is something that needs to be wired in? So no real answer on that. Does anybody know something about these issues?
    Last edited by Selbyvince; 07-07-2014 at 09:15 AM.

call nelson.

Got the truck on the road about 2 weeks ago now. Over 600 miles on it and it Runs great, only issues is the battery light is on and i have a lean code. Nothing i cant sort out.

Ended up having to use a v8 4x4 frame mount on the drivers side and a v8 2wd frame mount on the passenger side. Also wasnt able to get my electric fans to run like factory so just ran it through a relay where they just run when the truck is on. Also have some leftover parts if anyone needs anyhthing shoot me a pm.

glad to hear it's up & running for ya!
    the battery light might be due to the alternator not sending a status code that the PCM is expecting. that was an issue with mine. Justin @ Blackbear is aware of the programming fix to get rid of it.
    00 FRC - just top end, exhaust, and a hot-air intake
    99 Sierra - 5.3 / 5spd
    ↓ click the pic for the build ↓

Thanks, do you think it has something to do with being an older model alternator and my truck being a newer model. My truck is an 06 and the alternater is off an 02 ?

don't know... i originally thought the opposite because mine's a 99 & the engine/alternator are 01
    99 Sierra - 5.3 / 5spd

ah, well probably not then. Ok, well how am i suppose to get it tuned without having my truck down again. Id have to send my ecu back to get some more tuning done on it wouldnt i? i was told you cant get a programmer to upload email tunes threw because they programmed the truck with my vin number but with the v8 codes in it. So supposibly the programmer wouldnt recognize my vin or something. Is this true?

if you're talking like a Hypertech PoS, i don't know. i've had mine tuned by shipping the PCM out, i've had one sent to me with a core charge so i could keep driving & send my old one back, and i've also datalogged with a laptop & emailed the files to/from the tuner then downloaded to truck from laptop.

i've also heard of the AutoCal that's a handheld programmer your tuner can load your file onto & then you can swap between stock & a few stored tunes whenever you need.

there's a few ways to skin the cat depending on who tuned your truck & the methods they offer.
    99 Sierra - 5.3 / 5spd

yeah ill have to look into it, nelson did my tuning.

what kind of MPG's are youll getting? Im getting right around 13 in town and on the highway. I did the daily driving tune with nelson, i have 3.73s, and only mods are the long tubes, o/r y pipe, and a gibson catback with and a k&n intake. I do have 33" mud tires on 18s, but i put this same setup on all my trucks and none of them got this bad of gas millage. And my last 3 trucks were crew cabs with the 5.3. Thinking if its going to be this bad im just going to have them put the performance tune in it and do the cam swap like i wanted to initially. The truck runs good, but doesnt feel like it has the power it should. Even a 2nd gear pull isnt all that impressive. Only code i have is a lean code. Im still using my v6 MAF sensor, and was told thats whats doing it.

Also, was your RPM gauge correct after the swap? Mine definantly is not. It reads 500-1000 higher then what i really have. What about cruise control? What kind of wiring do i have to do to get that to work again?

+ Reply to Thread