+ Reply to Thread

Thread: (Help Please) Rear End Noises Driving me Insane

PLEASE READ, I really need help!!!!!!!
    What’s up guys, i need your help. I have a 99 Truck, 5.3 signal cab, short bed. Truck runs great but i have 3 rear end noises that are killing me, i hate noises. I hate it so much, ok the first noise i think is axle slap, it happens when you shake the truck in the rear side to side. The second noise i think is the leaf springs they are noise as hell. It sounds worse than a 1970 pickup. This makes me feel like shit it only has 75,000 miles on it. My 94 chevy had 210,000 miles and no rear end noise. What could it be should i buy new ones or what. I have sprayed WD40 and white Lithium grease everywhere i could. Do parts where out in the spring itself. I may have overloaded it, I towed something rear heavy and put a full pallet of bananas in it one time. The last noise takes the cake, this noise sucks and it is real weird. It happens at every complete stop as the truck stops the truck naturally nose dives a little and then rocks back. Well when it rocks back it makes a noise. It is like a chirp, so i thought it could be the breaks but i dont think so because i tried going and stopping but in neutral and it does not do it. It only does it in gear, it will also does it in reverse. Could it be a U Joint or in the rearend itself. It sounds like a low pitch crup and if you stop real slow it wont do it but it will after you take off from the slow stop. It seems to me like there is play somewhere in the drive train. My dad seems to think it is in the suspension. So it told him whey does it not make the noise when I go and stop in neutral. He told me that in gear some how it loads suspension and it makes the noise. But what could it be, I sometimes hear a noise in the differential if on wheel losses traction and the other picks it up, I thick it is in the posi traction is that normal. Do the posi tractions make noises if they don’t lock in properly? I did swap complete rearends with a 2003 chevy truck because i wanted posi traction. I was a friend of mine, this could not be it could it, the rears are the same right it bolted right on.

Thanks for any help you can give me!!!!!! Post or send me a Pm or davidsilva1980@yahoo.com or please call David #832-483-2996

3rd one sounds like axle wrap to me. Not too uncommon.
    Gone, but not forgotten!

I'd tear the rear end down and check all the bearings, particularly the outboard bearings. Also check for wear on the axles when you pull them out. Be sure you drain the oil out into something so you can measure the fluid, should be at least two quarts. Inspect all parts as you take it apart. Does your truck have a two piece driveshaft? It could be the carrier bearing. I would check all the u-joints while you're at it.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

did you reuse the old u-bolts or did you put new ones in?
    recheck your torque on them

Good idea Foggy. I always assume people don't reuse axle u-bolts.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(foggy &#064; Jun 7 2006, 10&#58;47 PM) [snapback]54954[/snapback]</div>
    did you reuse the old u-bolts or did you put new ones in?
    recheck your torque on them
    [/b]
    I have not changed the U joints that is next on my list. What i dont get is why does it make the noise only in gear, like i said when you are rolling and then put it in neutral and stop equaly as hard it does not make any noise at all. It is a singal drive shaft with Two U joints but the noise does come from the rear. I did not torque the bolts but i did tighten them up real goood. As for the leaf springs do i just buy new ones or what.

Thanks Guys

leaf springs would be the last thing on the list to check/replace in my opinion. About all that can go wrong with them is they start to sag or the bushings wear out on the ends but that doesn&#39;t happen often.

The side to side noise is normal you wil not get rid of it the chirp on take off is from the slip yoke where the drive shaft goes into the trans. Remove the drive shaft and put one of those 25 cent super balls in it and add some grease to the splines and it will go away.

+ Reply to Thread