+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which Thermostat?

Hi Guys,

Which thermostat should I run. I am thinking a 170 or 180. I understand if I go too cool I will loose performance. What are you running?

BILL
    1991 Formula Firebird

2001 LS1/4L60E, 3.23 posi rear
    Comp XE 216/216 .577/.577 114LSA cam
    918 Springs, hardened pushrods
    Yank SS3600 torque converter
    PCM reprogrammed for cam and converter
    3" exhaust
    BRM Adjustable torque arm, tubular read LCAs
    Spohn Adjustable panhard bar, front steering brace
    Spohn Subframe Connectors
    4th Gen style wheels
    Bilsteins sport struts and shocks

Well from what I have read before and can remember the 170 will be better. The cooler the engine the more power you will get. I did read to cool is not good either but above 170 is OK. As far as the differance between the two I don't know how noticeable it will be. Plus how close are they going to be to that temp.. I would think they have a +- factor. I would go with the 170 and reprogram the computer for it.
    1999 Silverado 1500 Ext. cab Red 2/4 hotchkis drop & swaybars, bilstein stocks, AR626 & 404 Nitto's, Yank converter, ASM headers, ASP underdrive pulley, Taylor wires , free mods VCN 2000, Nelson Performance tuning

2002 Red WS6 M6; Flow master K&N

I've had the 180 and 160 stat installed and they both run warmer than advertised. They 160 in my engine runs about 178 all day long and won't drop below that even with both fans on. I'd go with the 160stat. All the settings in the pcm that have to do with temp are no higher than 130 deg. So you'll be way ahead of that if that's what you're worried about.

allen

Thanks for the feeback. I would like my engine to poerate around 180 - 185. Can I squek by with a 170? Allen, does your truc run cooler on the highway? I understand you can control temp via. PCM by controling fan switching. However, wahat happend at highway speed when the air flow through the radiator is maximizing cooling? Won't the stat let the engine cool to its spec?

P.S. Since the new board has been up I no longet get e-mail notification on threads. Is there a setting here that I can change. I do not see one on these pages.

BILL
    1991 Formula Firebird

3" exhaust
    4th Gen style wheels

Originally posted by wm_sorg@Apr 10 2003, 07:13 PM
    Thanks for the feeback. I would like my engine to poerate around 180 - 185. Can I squek by with a 170? Allen, does your truc run cooler on the highway? I understand you can control temp via. PCM by controling fan switching. However, wahat happend at highway speed when the air flow through the radiator is maximizing cooling? Won't the stat let the engine cool to its spec?

P.S. Since the new board has been up I no longet get e-mail notification on threads. Is there a setting here that I can change. I do not see one on these pages.

BILL
    yes bill,

at the bottom of the page, you will see "track this topic" it will e-mail you when someone posts here.

bobby
    91 s10 - bagged and bodydropped...getting rebuilt
    91 nissan - backhalfed and bagged

Originally posted by wm_sorg@Apr 10 2003, 07:13 PM

BILL
    The stats tend to operate about 5-10deg warmer. My truck runs cooler on the highway if i'm hauling ass, i have to be going about 90mph then the engine cools to about175deg. You can control the temp by the pcm, but everytime you want to change the temp , you have to shutoff and reprogram the new temp, which controls the fans. The stat will open and close near it's advertised temp, so even if you had a badass radiator, (i know do), it still will stay shut until the engine reaches 160 as in my case. I wish my truck would cool to 160 but i think there is a large margin with the temperature rating.

does this help you out, sorry if it's a little confusing, hahah??

allen

I think the reason for the difference in temp from the thermostat rated and actual temp is the LS1 mixes heated coolant from the engine block with cold coolant from the radiator to control engine shock (excesive rapid tempature change). This is a improvment from the old way of simply dumping in cold coolant until the thermostat closes.
    2006 Superior Blue Trailblazer SS AWD, Stock as a rock

Sold: 2002 GMC Sportside Denali front end with a 2002 LS1, FLT level 5, Yank 2600, Trick Turbo, T76, Nelson intercooler, 60LB injectors, Warbro fuel pump, Eaton locker, Magnaflow, 3.42, Nelson Performance Tuning (speed density).

Sold: 1981 GMC LB RC 1500 2002 4.8L 4L60E 12 bolt 3.73 Richmond Lock Right AC PS Nelson Performance tuning

Ok So given my mods which engine operating temp would be ideal for my engine? I guess I can work backwards to select the stat temp that way.
    1991 Formula Firebird

3" exhaust
    4th Gen style wheels

i would say 160 , an engine runs best when it's cooler, but not too cold, like 120. It would also keep you underhood temps down, by making the engine run cooler,
    Still 190 is not too hot for an engine either, most factory engines run at 210 before any fans comes, of course that is to reduce the emissions.

I'd say go for 160, I bet you end up running around 175-180 , which is normal.

I do have a 180 for sale, also it has a small hole drilled in the blocking plate, i wanted to purge all the air, and that was the only way that seemed to work for me, that one ran around 190deg. which is thought was too hot.

what temp rating were you thinking of going with?

I would go with Allen 160.
    1999 Silverado 1500 Ext. cab Red 2/4 hotchkis drop & swaybars, bilstein stocks, AR626 & 404 Nitto's, Yank converter, ASM headers, ASP underdrive pulley, Taylor wires , free mods VCN 2000, Nelson Performance tuning

2002 Red WS6 M6; Flow master K&N

+ Reply to Thread