+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Got the rearend beefed up!

Last friday just before the shootout, i got my posi and gears installed. I went with a Auburn posi unit and GM 4.10 gears.

Off the line acceleration is awesome, the truck finally hooks and grabs like it's supposed to. However, i can spin the tires thru first and most of second depending on the surface/asphalt. The posi seems real strong and the gears are very quiet. I was originally going to go with 3.73's but the guy had a set that looked questionalbe, so he put in the 4.10's.

Driving conditions are very noticalbe. The 3.42's were very nice on the highway and the 4.10's are ok, just becuase i'm used to going 80mph everywhere i go. I now have to go 65mph just so i don't use a lot of gas. The 4.10's sping about 2000rpms at 60mph, the 3.42's spun about 2000rpm at 80mph.

From a roll, the truck it badass, not much can hang with it, at least what i've run across. About 55 on the highway, going into second, it pulls awesome too, i'll pull a stock fbod easily, and very hard.

At the track i wasn't very impressed with my times, although i wouldn't doubt it was 90+ humidity that night either, dew was rolling off the cars. My best was a 13.8 at 98 i think. I lost a lot of mph on the top end in the 1/4 but the new slicks and posi hook badass. I think I'll go with a 3000 yank stall next.

If wednesday or friday is cool, i'll be back out there to bust out a 13.5. I know it's in there!!

later,

allen

Very Nice!!!!!!

Brandon
    Hugger Orange 99 SS Hardtop #756
    485rwhp/440rwtq SAE

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j301/slmdls1/Signatures/hugger-prostar-sig.jpg

Well sounds good. I don't think you lost anything. The bad weather hurt but your time, but did not change as far as your best run if I am thinking correctly.
    1999 Silverado 1500 Ext. cab Red 2/4 hotchkis drop & swaybars, bilstein stocks, AR626 & 404 Nitto's, Yank converter, ASM headers, ASP underdrive pulley, Taylor wires , free mods VCN 2000, Nelson Performance tuning

2002 Red WS6 M6; Flow master K&N

i actually dropped a whole tenth, my best used to be a 13.9, now a 13.8

thanks,

allen

Wait till good cool weather. Maybe you will have a couple of days before its to hot. Supprise some foxbodies.
    1999 Silverado 1500 Ext. cab Red 2/4 hotchkis drop & swaybars, bilstein stocks, AR626 & 404 Nitto's, Yank converter, ASM headers, ASP underdrive pulley, Taylor wires , free mods VCN 2000, Nelson Performance tuning

2002 Red WS6 M6; Flow master K&N

Nothing can hang so far? loan me the cash for my swap and we'll see Just kidding.. Good job on getting better than 13.9.. Hopefully cooler weather and you'll hit 13.5-13.6
    91 s10 - bagged and bodydropped...getting rebuilt
    91 nissan - backhalfed and bagged

thanks for the compiments,

i know 13.8 ain't shit on the track, but it's hard to run across fast cars on the street, i know they're out there, I wish I would encounter some of them.

I guess that's one of the downfalls of owning a sleeper. Nobody notices you. Now that the drivetrain is sound, I think it's body work time. I wouldn't mind a nicer looking truck, lol.

later,

allen

Hey guys,
    I have the 3.73 gears and am tired of the peg leg/one wheel peel. I've heard alot about eaton and auburn positraction/limited slip and lockers. I've read that lockers make alot of noise but do a better job than posi. Can any of you give me comparisons, recommendations, suggestions? While I'd like to see two burn marks, I'd also like to be able to get my puny 300HP to the ground when I stomp the gas, as it is I slip all over the place, and to make it worse, its only one burn mark...... :frown:
    '01 Sierra 4.8 SCSB
    4.10, Eaton posi, Nelson tune, 160 t-stat, K&N Intake, Magnaflow catback, Vig 3200, Transgo+billets, 100 NX wet shot

For posi the auburn and eaton are the way to go, they are proven performers. The eaton may have a tad advantage over the auburn but you'll pay for it. The reason is, the eaton is rebuildable, but i say who cares, my auburn will last long enuff for me. The lockers and spools are probably too hard on the street. You seem like you drive yours all the time, so that shouldn't be an option. The eaton and auburn are very easy on the street and hook up very nice at the track. I don't get a any spin when i take off, at least i don't hear any, when i'm at the track with slicks.
    With the auburn in, i don't even notice i have it until i get on it. At low and high speeds it will grab. if i just barely turn my back wheels during a brake stand, they will both turn. I like it a lot.
    now i just need some good street tires so that i can hook up on the street, i can still spin those cheap tires pretty good.

goodluck,

allen

i have a powertrax limited slip and it works good still that with traction bars and i get great traction

marc
    Red 94 GMC Sonoma
    Red 94 Jeep Wrangler
    Red 02 RCSB Silverado
    Red 03 Ford Cobra
    Red 04 CC Silverado
    Red 05 Yamaha Raptor

I really like red

+ Reply to Thread