+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reccomended Torque Converter

Reccomended Torque Converter

Hey guys. I have been running circle D's "off the shelf" "GM 278mm HP 4L80 LS Torque Converter" since my swap. It seemed to be fun when I was running just the truck alone. I told him before hand that I would be towing a boat (smaller than I thought I was going to purchase) and he said it would be fine....

Here is the story. 6.0 swap with stock 4L60e and converter in my 95 1500. The 6.0 blew the 60e in 3 months (happy foot). Bought an 80e from craigslist for nothing, that was supposedly working. Bought the above TC and installed at the same time. Well I got screwed from craigs cuz the trans was shot....locked in 3rd gear.... Had the trans rebuilt (stock) by Art Carr (Drag racer who's shop is about 20 min from me) and he checked the converter out at the same time. He said it was fine but had never heard of circle D before.... He actually talked trash on it due to that fact...

Anyway, rebuilt trans and clean 2800-3K stall TC. Truck ran awesome. I then bought a bigger boat than I planned.... 2 years later, trans was shot. Shop took it apart, they said the TC was missing fins and was basically blown up. I trusted Circle D, gave the trans shop their number and they ordered a direct replacement. COOL. again, new trans and TC.

1 year later...TODAY.... im getting crazy TC shudder at 35-45mph. Im almost positive the TC is trash again. Im not talking crap on Circle D in any way whatsoever. Im sure they make amazing TC's as everybody swears by them. Truck ran great on its own. But I believe the towing is what is killing it. I think the verter I have is just not up to par for the way I drive the truck and I need to know what to do here. I can't be dropping $$$ every 2 years for a trans rebuild!!!

I thought I would be "racing" the truck more. but its honestly more of a workhorse and I got the wrong TC for what I was going to use it for. My fault. My question is what should I get???

Truck is a 95 C1500 that weighs about 4500lbs. Boat and trailer is about 6000lbs. I use it more than you would think throughout the year. Those coupled together with passengers and cargo for river trips... obviously add up and I know Im pushing the GVWR but the powertrain should be able to handle it. Obviously its not set up properly and I need to fix that.

It has a 3.73 8.5" pumpkin with Detroit LSD. I believe those gears are fine for daily/towing and don't need to go any steeper. Im pretty sure the 3K stall I have is way to high and I need to get a different TC. What should I get? Stock GM? Aftermarket? What stall? Im pretty sure a stocker will suffice but IDK if I should go with an aftermarket... If aftermarket, what brand? I dont want to drop 1K on a TC....

At this point, I dont care anymore about the "seat of your pants" fun from the TC. I just want something that will do what I need it to and last..... what are your suggestions??
    Like Tumbler in "Gone in 60" I'll drive anything with wheels or without

My 95 ECSB LQ9 build thread - http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...to-95-obs.html
    CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!
    Stock 03 LQ9, DBW, 95' 4l80e w/ Transgo shift kit, 2010 50# GM injectors, 2800 Circle D stall, Spectre CAI, Upgraded trans cooler, Home-made E-fans/shroud, Dual EP-381 fuel pumps w/Home-made hotwire kit
    NEXT ON LIST: Dual Battery setup, CAM/Valvetrain upgrade, Build my own rear mount turbo, TRU-TRAC, HIT THE STRIP!!!

and yes, I have a 40K stacked plate trans cooler....
    Like Tumbler in "Gone in 60" I'll drive anything with wheels or without

My 95 ECSB LQ9 build thread - http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...to-95-obs.html
    CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!
    Stock 03 LQ9, DBW, 95' 4l80e w/ Transgo shift kit, 2010 50# GM injectors, 2800 Circle D stall, Spectre CAI, Upgraded trans cooler, Home-made E-fans/shroud, Dual EP-381 fuel pumps w/Home-made hotwire kit
    NEXT ON LIST: Dual Battery setup, CAM/Valvetrain upgrade, Build my own rear mount turbo, TRU-TRAC, HIT THE STRIP!!!

Yank

I know you posted a while ago, but--
    I put in a Yank Truck Thruster 3000, have about 5000 miles on it. Working good.
    2002 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra,4WD, Xct cab, camed, mid-length headers, Nelson tune, electric rad. fan, trany cooler, Heavy 5750 lbs with topper.

Reccomended Torque Converter

i've been seeing a few of these lately, because i have to do research on my own torque converter issues.....

i think 6-lugs are more heavier dutier/diesels.

What engine is in your c-30?

+ Reply to Thread