+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 0411 swap problem - getting $0281 error code on autocal

0411 swap problem - getting $0281 error code on autocal

96 chevy SBSC with L31R

I have performed the repin for the 0411 per the spreadsheet from Lextech. I just got my flash/tune from Blackbear, and am trying to install thru OBDII port using an Autocal. I keep getting a $0281 error code when trying to load the tune to 0411 ecm. When I go to Prog, it says Checking, goes to 100%, pauses about 3 seconds and says $0281 error code. BB says that is a communication error code, and could be issue with OBDII port wiring or ignition wiring. The ignition seems to work properly as the key buzzer comes on, run position lights up the gauge cluster, and truck turns over just does not start. The OBD port is powering my autocal.

I've verified my cig lighter is operational, pulled the AM radio fuse (and radio batt fuse), abs fuse, and I double and triple checked the wiring diagram I received from Lextech. Still getting the error code.

I will admit, I had the blue ecm connector installed upside down on the 0411 initially while trying to flash the tune. I have since corrected this, but still getting 0281.

I also have an Autopage aftermarket alarm with a starter disable relay. Would the alarm possibly be causing an issue with 0281 ?

Please help.

Thanks,
    Mike

I have checked the pins 4 times. I didn't label each wire when I repinned, but I did go one by one. Looking at the spreadsheet, all the wires are the correct color and in the correct location. The unused locations all match. On the black box, I had a blk/wht jumper wire, which I believe connected the C3-18 & C4-12 blackbox locations. My sprdsheet puts C3-18 at C2-1 on the 0411 (red connector). It has C4-12 going to C2-40, but says not all 96 trucks have the wire. Both the C2-1 & C2-40 locations are grounds, so I spliced both of them into the C1-1 location on the blue connector.

Per the sprdsheet, I'm showing to have Ignition Feed (12v switched) at 0411 locations C1-19 & C1-75. When I turn the key to run/on position, I get power (test light) at C1-19. I don't have power at C1-75 with ignition in run/on position. Last, sprdsheet says to tape a pink wire for blackbox C1-4 back into the harness. Says this is an ignition feed for charcoal canister from 1998 truck. This wire has power when I put key in run/on position.

Seems like I may have an issue with C1-75 not getting ignition feed. Am I on to something here ?

Thanks,
    Mike

A guy helped me out over on GMT400.com. When I put the blue connector on upside down I fried the ecm and brake fuses. Replaced those fuses and all is well, ecm is flashed; and truck is running.

Quote Originally Posted by homeslice View Post
    A guy helped me out over on GMT400.com. When I put the blue connector on upside down I fried the ecm and brake fuses. Replaced those fuses and all is well, ecm is flashed; and truck is running.
    Homeslice do you mind helping me out the spreadsheet? Im trying to do the swap just have no luck trying to get ahold of Lextech for it. Any help would be appreciated!

411 swap spreadsheet

Hey I also am looking for the spreadsheet. I only just reached out to Lextech, but as I am exploring this forum it seems that most of the key contributors have simply moved on. I you or ANYBODY has a spreadsheet I can use to do this swap on a 97 k1500 5.7 I'd appreciate it. I have access to all of the wiring diagrams, and could probably figure it out on my own, but I am sure that the spreadsheet would be a huge asset, even if it's for a 96 as I could figure out any differences on my own.

+ Reply to Thread