+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: First time swap. LQ9 into 95 OBS

First time swap. LQ9 into 95 OBS

Hey everybody! This will be my first major thread. Ive been wanting to do a swap for a long time. Didn’t know which engine I was going to use but finally decided on the big liter! And I found one at a semi-local (55 mi away) salvage yard thru car-part. That’s a great site to find stuff!!!!! Anyway, went and checked it out today and it was a complete pullout. Manifolds, fan, maf/airbox, complete harness, PCM, and even the damn fuse box. Thing was ready to go. Needless to say its sitting in the back of my truck right now…

Ok so heres my plan. Your gonna have to bear with me on this as this process will be done in steps up to the final goal. I use the truck to carry tools to work when I need to, get around town when its raining or im too lazy to ride, and tow a couple skis to the lake or river and eventually want to get a 20’ boat. That will be the most the truck will ever need to tow.

Now on to the goals…
    1) My main priority is smog. I live in cali and I drive it on the street….yes im gonna go through the BAR process. I don’t want to but im not gonna be paying someone every two years. I don’t want to deal with that so its out of the question. My reg is due in oct so I need to get this done by then.
    2) 4L80e swap. Want/going to need the extra strength due to #3
    3) Small turbo with about 6psi or so to stay safe and maximize hp potential on stock motor
    4) This is more of a hope as im not to sure about it and I need your opinions. Possibly stroking it later on to make up for the lower rpm range that the turbo cant get to. But I don’t need info on that right now.

1-3 are what I want and 4 is just a maybe at this point. Yes I know the order is not necessarily normal but that’s not a concern for me due to my situation. My main concern over smog at this point is getting the motor in the truck and running. I have a 3 month warranty from the yard that I don’t want to miss out on IF I HAVE TO USE IT….KNOCK ON WOOD!!!! I just want to get it in there and drive it around to make sure its all good (which it should be cuz they tested it before pulling it out) Then ill work on getting all the required smog equipment in place and go from there.

What I want to know is what is the minimum I need in order to fire it up and drive wiring wise? Being that I have a 4l60e in the truck already and that’s what was supposedly behind the 6.0 (possibly 65e or 70e but they are basically the same from what Ive read…)
    1) it should mate up and the harness should plug in right?
    2) Do I need to get the stupid spacer to make that happen? Im reading mixed answers on that
    3) What sensors are required for it to run? i.e. smog equipment stuff like o2’s and others. I don’t have anything after the manifolds… I realize it may throw codes but will it still run without them for the time being?
    4) Since I have the computer and fuse block that came with it, theoretically it should already be set up…

Is there any reason to flash anything on the pcm? Will it not run if the vats is not removed? Does it need to be adjusted for the converter due to the motor having more torque than the 350 AND being in a lighter vehicle?

is there anything im missing? I THINK that pretty much covers what might be needed to get it just running but this is my first time with this so I know im going to miss some things. Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to get everybody on par with where im at and where im going. Cant wait to start diving into this!!

I may be able to help with a few questions:

1: If you know for sure that the trans that was behind the new engine was a 4L60/65E, then the wiring should not be a problem. When it comes time for the 4L80E, you will need to change wires around on the plug and flash the PCM to control the transmission.

2:A visual look at the crank will tell you if you need the spacer or not. If the crankshaft is just barely sticking out of the rear main seal, you will need the spacer. If the crank is sticking out about 3/4", then you won't need it. Chances are though that you will since you have an LQ9. Here's a pic of my '99 LQ4 that DID NOT require the spacer:

I know it's a lousy pic of the snout for the crank, but if you can get a similar look at yours, you should be able to tell.

3: Definitely going to need O2 sensors for it not to throw codes. You will need the PCM flashed to run the engine in your older vehicle. You can have the emission stuff flashed out but since you need to be emissions compliant in California, I would look for and exhaust system that has the O2 sensors and harnesses needed to be compliant. Ask the junkyard about the exhaust system for your engine. They may be willing to work with you but most don't sell catalytic converters. You may need to add aftermarket converters to the exhaust system.
    I lucked out and grabbed the entire exhaust system for my 99 LQ4. When the seller said he couldn't sell the system with the converters, I told him the deal was off. He conceded and let me have it.

4:Since you do have the PCM, you're already halfway there. It needs to be wired into your harness. It will need to be flashed to remove the VATS in order to get it running. Or you can buy one of those wiring kits that fools the PCM into letting the engine run without flashing to remove the VATS.
    I had my PCM flashed to remove VATS and get the PCM to shift the 4L60E that I'm running instead of the 4L80E originally behind the 6 liter.

Any other questions, just ask.
    '93 Chevy 1500 4X4 ECLB with a '99 Silverado LQ4 6.0 and '99 Escalade 4L60E. SOLD IT!!

New toy: 2001 2500 HD 4X4 Extended Cab Long Bed

John

I have to ask a dumb question, whats an OBS?? You will have to excuse me, as I am an Aussie Not knowing much about what happens over your way, I would say as long as you can get as many parts as possible from the wreck, it will make it all easier.
    When I did my conversion, I was lucky enough to buy a complete car for all the parts, the sold off what I didnt want.
    1978 C20 short bed pickup, GEN111, 4L60E trans.

It's a term that people use to refer to the 88-98 body style which is the GMT 400, 0OBS 73-87, OBS 88-98, NBS 99-06, NNBS07+, and yes I know that there are overlap year's between the body style's, but I was just getting the idea across.

thanks for the response mikey. man work has been hactic. if this keeps up ill never get this swap started!! but i was able to get the motor out of my truck today and on the stand. its nice to just see it on there.beautiful sight! haha

ok well i understand that ill need to flash it for the 80e and everything else that comes with it. but those only came in the HD trucks so im pretty sure it was a 60/65/70. either way, all those are basically the same as far as i understand except the internals are stronger as the numbers get higher.. so that makes me think the way its programmed now should work fine... please correct me if im wrong.

and what do you mean when you say i need the pcm to be flashed to run the motor in my older vehicle??? how would it even know. as long as its set up for the motor and trans its controling, what does it care what its in? ASSUMING the original trans was a 60e, which there is a great chance it was, and thats what i have, other than the setup being in a different body vehicle, what else is different? as long as i power the pcm, connect the required sensors, wire my gauges, and remove vats, shouldnt the thing fire up and run? am i not seeing something? im new to this whole computer thing but it seems that simple to me... its not like what a lot of others do where they are using the pcm from the older car or from a completely diff car. THAT, i understand the need to flash. but this is the pcm from the escalade....

and yeah i have the short crank, so ill have to find me a spacer... thats next on the list on top of the sensors.

and i just came up with an idea today to get around buying the cats at the moment. that $700 will be better used getting the needed parts to get it going. im going to fab up a temporary exhaust and weld on the bungs for the o2 sensors. someone confirm this will work...

well i work all day for the next 3 days so i wont really have time to get my hands dirty. but ill be on the search for sensors, spacer, and dbw peddal/module.... ill keep you posted. keep the info coming!!! thanks!
    Attached Images

how do you post the large pics?

You will need to flash the PCM to get rid of the VATS(Vehicle Anti Theft System). That's the whole deal with the computer chip key, etc. If the PCM doesn't see the signal from the computer chip key, it won't let the engine run. There are some kits out there that plug into your harness that "fool" the PCM into seeing the code for the key. I opted to just have the PCM flashed.

Sounds like your trans should work fine.

Keep us posted!!
    '93 Chevy 1500 4X4 ECLB with a '99 Silverado LQ4 6.0 and '99 Escalade 4L60E. SOLD IT!!

John

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Johnston View Post
    I have to ask a dumb question, whats an OBS??.
    OBS Old Body Style. Here's some info:

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/power...rminology.html

John

Quote Originally Posted by kewljay223 View Post
    how do you post the large pics?

I use Photobucket. From there, each picture is given an IMG code. Then, when you go to post, just insert the IMG code in the post for the pic you want to post.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeymotormount View Post
    I use Photobucket. From there, each picture is given an IMG code. Then, when you go to post, just insert the IMG code in the post for the pic you want to post.

Oh ok. I have photo bucket but I thought it just posted links instead of the actual picture. But maybe thats because I was using the url instead of img code. I'll try that next time. Thanks.

I'm gonna check out hp tuners and efi live and see if I can get the vats removed myself. ive never done it before but im not bad with computers. I won't be using it too often as I just won't be swapping motors all the time. But it might be a useful tool to have. I have a couple buddies who want to try a swap so it could come in handy then, and also minor tweaks for future upgrades... :-) is there one recomended over the other?

+ Reply to Thread