+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1995 Tahoe swap to 04 Yukon drivetrain

1995 Tahoe swap to 04 Yukon drivetrain

Currently have a 1995 Chevy Tahoe with blown engine and trans, Just purchases a 2004 GMC Yukon with a 5.3. Hoping to use the complete drive train out of the donor truck. I will be using everything possible from it. I own a performance shop and do a lot of tuning and chassis work. This will be my 1st swap of this kind since I'm technically a ford guy.

1st question is will the 5.3 fit with all the original accessories attached to it? Hoping so. not looking to do any performance mods except a tune.

I will have to incorporate the 4x4 controls since my old trans is a manual shift for 4wd and the 04 is push button.

Both trans are a 4l80 so hoping that part will be a direct bolt in.

any tips and tricks are appreciated, I will be updating as often as I can on the build progress.
    Engine is currently apart and being freshened up, hopefully have it back in the next week or so.

i'm a manual trans guy, so i could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure the Tahoes had 4L60s (with Escalades & Denalis having 4L65s behind the 6.0). 4L80s were used in cargo vans & HD trucks. that said, it should still be a fairly straightforward swap, with the tougher part being making the electric 4x4 buttons work... mine's a manual shift, too, so i don't know much on whether it's tied into the BCM or not. the GMT400 body's a little roomier, so the accessories should fit - especially if you do an e-fan conversion.
    00 FRC - just top end, exhaust, and a hot-air intake
    99 Sierra - 5.3 / 5spd
    ↓ click the pic for the build ↓

and it might just be easier to put another NP241 (the manual shift t-case) on there. just do the case rub kit while it's apart, if that ain't been done already (it's an upgraded ring inside that keeps it from wearing a hole in the back of the magnesium case).
    00 FRC - just top end, exhaust, and a hot-air intake
    99 Sierra - 5.3 / 5spd
    ↓ click the pic for the build ↓

yes that was a typo. it is a 4l60. on another note, pulled the engine apart and found the block was cracked. So now looking for a block or complete short block. ugh.

+ Reply to Thread