+ Reply to Thread

Thread: oil pressure at gauge

oil pressure at gauge

I am having an issue that is driving me crazy on my lq4 swapped 91 c1500. Whenever I turn my key on my oil pressure gauge pegs to the right (roughly 100+ psi). Its completely maxed out even with the truck not cranked. This tells me its a signal issue from the sending unit. I am running the stock sending unit off my TBI motor with the proper adapters plugged in as it would be stock. I purchased a new sending unit and had the exact same result. I also purchased 3 more clusters thinking it was an issue with the stepper unit in the cluster. I have since used the same cluster in another truck and it read perfectly fine. I ran a new wire directly from the sending unit to the gauge to rule out that it was a break in the wire or a pinched wire grounding out. Even with the wire disconnect at the plug (on the gauge side) the gauge pegs out. This has me to believe that its not getting any signal and causing it to peg to the right. Has anyone ran into this issue, or have any suggestions? I have everything else reading perfectly on these gauges except this one gauge and its driving me crazy!

thanks in advance!
    15 Focus ST
    07 vrod
    91 RCSB lq4/longtubes/true duals/kooks mufflers

probably a ground issue. your oil switch needs one wire to go to the gauge and the other to a ground.
    1997 RCSB, AES 390 + 4L80E transplant, F1A Procharger, #160 injectors, Magnafuel 750, Schoenfield Longtubes, 3" flowmasters, Steve Morris Bullit cam, Circle D 3k stall, Ford 9" rear, Homemade Caltrac bars.

Just out of curiosity did you put silicone or anything else on the threads of your adapters and the sending unit? Another thing to make sure and do is run a good ground from the frame directly to the block...
    Last edited by 1991SSP; 06-27-2017 at 10:00 AM.

Did you ever determine the cause? I just finished a LS1 swap into a 94 k1500 and I have the same issue, my gauge has been pegged way right since the first time I keyed on. I'm running a oil sending unit from an 02 2500 I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit6oh View Post
    Did you ever determine the cause? I just finished a LS1 swap into a 94 k1500 and I have the same issue, my gauge has been pegged way right since the first time I keyed on. I'm running a oil sending unit from an 02 2500 I believe.
    I wish I did... i messed with it so much that I finally decided im better off saving up $600 and replacing every gauge with an autometer gauge. I'd rather replace them all than waste my life messing with 1 wire.. I couldnt stress over it any more.
    15 Focus ST
    07 vrod

Quote Originally Posted by venomoussvt View Post
    I wish I did... i messed with it so much that I finally decided im better off saving up $600 and replacing every gauge with an autometer gauge. I'd rather replace them all than waste my life messing with 1 wire.. I couldnt stress over it any more.
    I got mine figured out yesterday. I'm using the LS1 sender and used a BDW brand when I put the engine together and decided to get an AC Delco and try it. Fixed. I did try just plugging in the new sensor without installing it and it read exactly the same until I grounded it so maybe you could try grounding yours to the battery with a jumper

funny.. the one I installed trying to fix my issue was a BWD as well.. however im using an adapter and the old 350 sensor. Maybe i'll buy the pigtail and try the delco ls sensor
    15 Focus ST
    07 vrod

Quote Originally Posted by venomoussvt View Post
    funny.. the one I installed trying to fix my issue was a BWD as well.. however im using an adapter and the old 350 sensor. Maybe i'll buy the pigtail and try the delco ls sensor
    It's worth a shot, I got mine from amazon for $40.

I have had nothing but BAD LUCK with bwd sensors... I will never use anything but AC Delco OEM sensors

+ Reply to Thread