+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 97 gmc yukon 5.7 to 5.3 swap

97 gmc yukon 5.7 to 5.3 swap

I have searched and searched but haven't found all the information. I have read probably 20+ forum threads and countless pages on all of them. But I still need help. I got most of the information needed but there are some things people never mention. So the yukon currently has the 5.7 350 vortec. Has a horrible rod knock and figured I could just swap a 5.3 vortec in its place. I went and pulled a 5.3 out of a crashed 2000 yukon. I got everything from the oil pan to intake including the wireing harness and fuse block, but the ecu was already taken so I still gotta get one. My questions are am i able to use the stock fuse block or should I use the new one. And when I pull ed the engine I pulled it with the torque converter . i know the 97 4l60e and the 2000 4l60e are different but can I use the new torque converter or just use the one currently in my trans. And with the fuel lines can I just put a new stock fuel filter on and buy a conversion fitting that screws into the filter and changes the fitting to the newer clip fitting and then grab the fuel line from the 2000 yukon and run it from the new fitting to the fuel rail. And last but not least do i need a new stronger fuel pump or can I use my stock that's in the tank. If there is threads that answer any of these you can just post the link that works just as well.

not too sure about the fusebox but i would use the one that came with the engine if you have it all. it might even install in place of the other one like it was meant to be and if its the same fusebox you could probably just switch the connectors over and use the stock box from your yukon.
    your stock vortec fuel pump will work
    either t-c will work but they might have different stall speed's
    yes you can get the fuel filter fitting to go with the hard line, but i would personally just use high pressure fuel hose for ease of placement and replacement

Quote Originally Posted by 94gmc6.0 View Post
    yes you can get the fuel filter fitting to go with the hard line, but i would personally just use high pressure fuel hose for ease of placement and replacement
    Yeah might just be easier and cheaper that way too. So on this 5.3 I noticed it has 2 fuel lines from the rail. And then it has a plastic hard line type deal that runs along them also. Might know what that is?

Quote Originally Posted by Brokenyukon View Post
    Yeah might just be easier and cheaper that way too. So on this 5.3 I noticed it has 2 fuel lines from the rail. And then it has a plastic hard line type deal that runs along them also. Might know what that is?
    I don't have that line but i have a 2004 6.0 that doesn't have a fuel return line, so my only guess is its something for that or fuel pressure regulator. I used a 2005 van intake/fuel rail with a 1990 corvette fuel filter. the corvette filter regulates the pressure and has the return line built into it. So i just cut the old fuel lines on my truck in the frame and hooked the pump up then filter and return line.

So i got the 350 out yesterday and I took the torque converter out of my current trans and compared it to the newer one. Only thing I noticed is the inlet hole on the newer torque converter is a touch longer than the older one. So I checked to see if it slides into my 97 4l60e. Which it does without any issue. It seats fully in and spins perfectly. But I'm wonder if i need the crank spacer for what I'm doing. All the threads I've read people say you need it when using the 5.3 with an older trans like th350 or the 700r4, but no body mentions if you need it when using an older 4l60e.

Quote Originally Posted by Brokenyukon View Post
    So i got the 350 out yesterday and I took the torque converter out of my current trans and compared it to the newer one. Only thing I noticed is the inlet hole on the newer torque converter is a touch longer than the older one. So I checked to see if it slides into my 97 4l60e. Which it does without any issue. It seats fully in and spins perfectly. But I'm wonder if i need the crank spacer for what I'm doing. All the threads I've read people say you need it when using the 5.3 with an older trans like th350 or the 700r4, but no body mentions if you need it when using an older 4l60e.
    Yes, you'll still need the crank spacer.

Ive got a 95 K1500 Im doing a 5.3 swap, for the fueling, Im putting in a 96-98 fuel pump, 99-02 fuel filter, and cutting the factory hardlines at the firewall, then connecting them to the factory ls lines on the intake with high pressure rubber fuel hose and clamps. Ill have a return style fuel rail as well. Also Ill be pulling both lines off the truck so I can clean them and flare the ends that I cut

+ Reply to Thread