+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mirror repair

Mirror repair

On my 03 Tahoe, the side mirrors both seem to have lost tension at the hinge were they fold; they are easily moved back and forth. Is there any way to repair this?

2002 ECSB, Nelson Tune, LS1 electric fans, 145A alternator, K&N FIPK, 160º T-stat, TB coolant bypass, Corvette servo, 4 headlight mod, blue LED gauge cluster

i had the same issue on my yukon, instead of trying to repair i found some replacements on craigslist. when i have some free time im going to take them apart and see what i can do to come up with a simple fix
    06 rcsb, 6two, 231/235, 4.11, pacesetter, 80e, 14 bolt, Nelson tuned
    2011 rcsb 6two swap in the works with 6l90 and boost
    FARMTRUC CAN GARGLE PEANUT BUTTER

I haven't pulled mine apart yet, but... I, oddly, just had to have the driver's side mirror replaced via an insurance claim. The body shop left the old parts in the back seat of my truck. There is a "star" (I have no better word to describe it) shaped retainer on the shaft of the hinge that captures the spring that provides tension the hinge. That's the only real mechanics of the hinge assembly. One or both of those parts must have failed. I wonder if someone makes a rebuild kit.

2002 ECSB, Nelson Tune, LS1 electric fans, 145A alternator, K&N FIPK, 160º T-stat, TB coolant bypass, Corvette servo, 4 headlight mod, blue LED gauge cluster

The star or keeper ring holds down a spring. I fixed mine by pressing the keeper ring back down on the spring. Then I drilled a hole in the shaft and put in a piece of wire so it can't come apart again.

The internals of the mirrors on my 2003 Tahoe, as it turns out, are entirely different than the ones on my 2002 Silverado. I haven't pulled the glass, but I tilted it enough so that I could see the hinge area. On these, it is sealed up

Well, I fixed them last night. I didn't realize they had the power folding option, and I read about cycling them to sync them. So, cycled them, and all is well with the world again

Great news

+ Reply to Thread