+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Random Towing Capacity question...

Random Towing Capacity question...

Ok so this SLIGHTLY has to do with my other thread about the trans cooler upgrade but its more of a "just wondering" kinda thing.

Most of us on here have done a swap. So any manufacture ratings for towing I would assume kinda go out the window. How would we go about calculating the now revised towing capacity???

Ive looked for online calculators but they all want you to input the manufactures GVWR,GCWR, curb weight etc.... but those of us with swaps.... well we dont really know.

My truck for example is 95 1/2 ton ext. cab short bed. That is just one option of many. Lightest frame but midsize length. I have a LQ9 6.0 with a 4L80e. closest thing i can think of to mine would be a 2500 HD NBS truck. But dont those have a thicker frame resulting in a heavier truck to begin with?? Plus the fact that the LQ4 in that truck has less HP... So i guess i could use its ratings but would still be off somewhat. Then there is gearing and maybe tire height?? Plus there is the fact that the bigger motor and trans may add more weight, but they also add/handle more HP/TQ at the same time... so does that cancel out?

How would one go about adding up total truck weight with the swapped engine and trans combo along with frame size (if that is a factor) to get maximum towing capacity??

There is also the braking capability factor but im not so much worried about that. Any opinions on this? Just thought this was kind of an interesting topic as i havnt seen any mention of it in my searches so I thought I would see what you guys thought. All suggestions and opinions welcome as I have no idea!
    Last edited by kewljay223; 11-09-2016 at 08:54 PM.
    Like Tumbler in "Gone in 60" I'll drive anything with wheels or without

My 95 ECSB LQ9 build thread - http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...to-95-obs.html
    CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!
    Stock 03 LQ9, DBW, 95' 4l80e w/ Transgo shift kit, 2010 50# GM injectors, 2800 Circle D stall, Spectre CAI, Upgraded trans cooler, Home-made E-fans/shroud, Dual EP-381 fuel pumps w/Home-made hotwire kit
    NEXT ON LIST: Dual Battery setup, CAM/Valvetrain upgrade, Build my own rear mount turbo, TRU-TRAC, HIT THE STRIP!!!

There is so much more to towing than HP. Be very careful with exceeding the original limits your truck is rated for. IMO the rating for the new trucks are out of control. A diesel truck with 30k is dangerous. All the ratings are way too high.

I would stick with the stock tow rating of your truck. Just because you put a few hundred pounds under the hood doesn't make its capacity any higher. If that was the case you could get a bunch of your budies in the cab and bed and call it a 2500hd because you got an extra thousand pounds in it. then you steal have to stop the load. I be leave that you truck is disc and drums with those small 5lug rims not much more braking then a camero of that year. I put a dodge 1ton front axle and a 2005 chevy 3/4 ton rear both 8lug , with the same setup as your truck and a supercharger and you wont catch me towing out of my truck weight class. the biggest thing i ever towed was a 45ft. boat on a tri-axle trailer with trailer brakes.
    6.0 MAX Blown

yeah I realize HP isnt the main factor. If anything, its torque. And jay, i agree with you on sticking with the original ratings. I was just wondering if drivetrain upgrade would make a difference. i guess now that i think about it, the rating is probably the same due to the frame/suspension and like you mentioned, lug nuts which are probably the weaker link in the whole setup. I guess the upgrade just puts less stress on the motor and trans. But im still having heating issues that I need to figure out but thats another story. And i feel you on the trailer brakes... those make a HUGE difference. when i first purchased the boat, i didnt have the 5 wire set up for reverse lockout, so i was using the key to physically stop the brakes from engaging for reverse and forgot to remove it.... the first stop i came to...well it wasnt really a stop!! haha come to think of it...i need to get new brake pads... dammit, one more thing to add to the list!!
    Like Tumbler in "Gone in 60" I'll drive anything with wheels or without

My 95 ECSB LQ9 build thread - http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...to-95-obs.html
    CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!
    Stock 03 LQ9, DBW, 95' 4l80e w/ Transgo shift kit, 2010 50# GM injectors, 2800 Circle D stall, Spectre CAI, Upgraded trans cooler, Home-made E-fans/shroud, Dual EP-381 fuel pumps w/Home-made hotwire kit
    NEXT ON LIST: Dual Battery setup, CAM/Valvetrain upgrade, Build my own rear mount turbo, TRU-TRAC, HIT THE STRIP!!!

+ Reply to Thread