+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1992 k1500 LS swap help needed

1992 k1500 LS swap help needed

I've got a 1992 k1500 350tbi nv4500. looking to pull the 350 out and drop a 6.0 from a 2002 into it. Have the ecm, and factory engine harness that came with the engine.

What do I need to make the trans line up as far as the clutch goes? internal slave cylinder if that makes a difference? (I'm not worried about the missing bolt in the bellhousing)

I'd like to use the gauge cluster that's in the truck currently. local shop said they can build a harness to use the cluster through the ecm to make it all look factory but they want an arm and a leg for it. What needs to be done to make it work?

I'm very confident in my ability to do the wiring myself just looking for a little more info.

I'm using a sachs nfw1050 flywheel in my swa . Stock clutch, stock throwout bearing, and I forget the part number on the pilot bearing but I could dig it up if you wanted. My trans is the nv3500 though, and it has an external slave

not even close but thanks man. theres a huge difference in the depts between an interal and external slave.

I just finished up my 5.3/NV4500 swap couple of months ago. I have an early NV4500 on my 92 with an external slave so I'm not sure about the later internal slave NV4500 so I may not be much help on that one. However, I just finished up my own wiring harness to make it look factory with the pcm routed inside the dash in the original location so I might be of some help there. Not sure if you want to go as far as making it look factory or just wire up the cluster correctly. Either way, I might be of some help
    Last edited by g_salazar10; 08-15-2016 at 11:19 PM.

Hi question for you . Im doing a similar swap putting a 2001 6.0l dbc into my 1990 k2500 that I already put a nv4500 behind. What did you use for a flywheel and clutch ? I'm assuming my current flywheel and clutch wont work? Thanks in advance .

You are correct on the flywheel but not the clutch. Look up a flywheel for a 4.8 or a 6.0. Doesn't matter which one as they are exactly the same, most people go with a sachs nfw1050 flywheel. Make sure to get some new GM flywheel bolts too. As far as the clutch, use your factory one meant for the sbc. You'll have to enlarge the clutch holes a bit to make room for the metric bolts. You'll also have to knock out the alignment pins on the flywheel. As far as hydraulics go, you can reuse your throw out as well. I've been driving my truck since January as a daily with a 40mi round trip 5 days a week with no issues

One last note, I can't remember what year range they were from, but early 4.8 and 6.0 engines had a longer crank flange for manuals than automatics. All later 4.8 and 6.0 have a narrower crank flange like the 5.3's. I don't remember what years they started doing the same thing but I do know the earlier models had two different cranks. Make sure you have a 216 crank. Same part number for the 5.3 and 6.0. IIRC the wider crank flange is a 215 part #. If you have the wider version then you cannot use a 1050 flywheel

Ok awesome good to know . Thanks for the reply. I did a bit of research and sounds like the 99 and 2000 engines had the longer crank and in 01 they went to the shorter one. From what I read in 01 the 4l60 didn't need a spacer and the 4l80 used a spacer . the truck is a 01 with the 80 so as long as it has a spacer ill know its the short one. ill find out soon enough when I start tearing things apart . Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Mg13 View Post
    Ok awesome good to know . Thanks for the reply. I did a bit of research and sounds like the 99 and 2000 engines had the longer crank and in 01 they went to the shorter one. From what I read in 01 the 4l60 didn't need a spacer and the 4l80 used a spacer . the truck is a 01 with the 80 so as long as it has a spacer ill know its the short one. ill find out soon enough when I start tearing things apart . Thanks again!
    No prob! Glad to help

+ Reply to Thread