+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Engine Tick

Engine Tick

After 1200 miles on my lq9 swap my engine developed a metallic tick. The sound only becomes noticeable around 190-200 degrees. My thoughts were a bad lifter, or possibly a bad o ring on the oil pump, aerating the oil. It will be a couple months before I'm able to tear into it and fix it. Does anyone have any experience with this problem on 6.0's? Or any ideas of what it might be? Thanks
    2000 RCSB
    LQ9
    Torquer V2
    T56 Magnum
    305 drag radials
    3/4 lowering kit

Hard to say with out hearing it, change oil, pull the plugs wires off one by one to hear a change. Take a large screwdriver to isolate the area-hold the handle on your ear, pull a valve cover off and check for bend pushrods, loose rockers. My 2002 5.3 when it was new had lifter tick noise when hot, a cam and new adjustable rockers took care of it. How many miles on the engine? What weight of oil? Never was a fan of the W5-30 water they say is oil.
    Last edited by metalchips; 02-19-2016 at 02:06 AM.

The engine has 74,000 miles. Although I bought it from a junkyard so who knows how it was treated. Oil pressure and compression are good on it. And I'm running 5/30 mobil 1 and a mobil 1 filter. What weight do you prefer?
    2000 RCSB
    LQ9
    Torquer V2
    T56 Magnum
    305 drag radials
    3/4 lowering kit

W10/30, you know that the W=water. Just kidding, I run Mobil 1 also. Maybe the new multi grade oils are better,--------------but it's worth a try. Save the old oil and use it in your wife-girlfriend's car.

So the W doesn't mean water? Well I'll be damned. No girlfriend for now, and being in a small town, you know what they say.. "You don't lose your girl, you just lose your turn." Looks like I've lost my turn. That just means more money to put into the truck. Thanks for the advice, Ill keep you posted when I figure out what's causing the noise.
    2000 RCSB
    LQ9
    Torquer V2
    T56 Magnum
    305 drag radials
    3/4 lowering kit

Yes, let me know.
    Have a good one.

Hey metalchips, I finally swapped over to the correct oil pressure sending unit. My gauge reads about 42 pounds at idle and 60+ when I get on the throttle. That tick is still present only when the engine hits 200 degrees and above. I'm still under the assumption that the o-ring on my pickup tube is cracked. It seems like if I keep the RPM under 2500 and drive the truck easily the tick doesn't become nearly as noticeable. I will be changing the oil and filter to see if I have any luck with a different brand/weight oil.
    2000 RCSB
    LQ9
    Torquer V2
    T56 Magnum
    305 drag radials
    3/4 lowering kit

Sounds like a plan.
    I just checked my 2002 GMC Sierra owners manual. And--- SAE 10W-30 is recommended for Temps above 0 degrees. 5W-30 for Temps below 0.
    Add some time and gasoline blow-by into the oil and it will thin out any oil, if you start out with 5Water-30, it gets thin fast.
    I am in ND, when it gets cold, I plug in the block heater.
    5Water-30 helps the auto manufacturers meet the Al Gore EPA Gas ratings Soviet Government control Laws.

Just changed my Mobil 10w-30, had about 4200 miles, lifters ticking a little. New oil made it quiet again.

+ Reply to Thread