+ Reply to Thread

Thread: gauge cluster wiring

gauge cluster wiring

I just swapped a 2005 5.3/4l60e in to my 93 gmc c1500 and am down to a few minor things to finish it up. Gauge cluster is where i am at right now. I took the vss output from my new ls pcm and tied it in to the dark blue wire on that goes in to the 93 vss module next to the original ecm behind the glovebox. For my I have been looking at where to tie in my alternator output, coolant temp, and oil temp wires so that the stock cluster will work. I pulled the cluster and set to ohming the contacts out but noticed several of the gauges and such will tone out on the same lead so i am back to square one. Any help with this is greatly appreciated
    93 GMC RCSWB Currently a 4.3 w/4L60E

The voltage/alternator output you do not have to do anything, it reads off of the system. For the coolant, you can do this: http://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet...d.php?t=273845
    For oil pressure you can tap the adapter on the side of the block, just above the oil filter.
    http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...r-on-LS-Series
    "ALisSa1 Silverado"
    1990 Chevrolet RCSB 2002 Chevrolet Camaro LS1/4L60E
    Scrimpin Ain't Easy
    ( . Y . )

I ended up using the stock plug off my 1990 since it only used the center wire for the oil pressure gauge at the back of my 2003 LQ4, and I ran a three wire Camaro water sender and tapped the third wire for my cluster. The last thing I'm having a bit of trouble on is the speedo, can I tap at the back of the cluster, or do I need a signal converter?

On my truck, I used the VSS wiring outside the cab on the firewall. Directly into the PCM, like a three way splice.
    "ALisSa1 Silverado"
    Scrimpin Ain't Easy
    ( . Y . )

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-Art View Post
    On my truck, I used the VSS wiring outside the cab on the firewall. Directly into the PCM, like a three way splice.
    Art, happen to remember what color the wire was? IIRC I have a purple and yellow twisted pair that on my 1990.

Those are the colors. One is the low speed and one is the high speed. And they correspond to the low and high speed on the new pcm.
    "ALisSa1 Silverado"
    Scrimpin Ain't Easy
    ( . Y . )

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-Art View Post
    Those are the colors. One is the low speed and one is the high speed. And they correspond to the low and high speed on the new pcm.

I should have mentioned I'm using a 4L80E, all I have off the Nelson harness is a single wire for the speedo. I was hoping I could run that wire straight into the cluster with no problem.

You should be able to. All the calculations are done in the PCM. The PCM gets info from the VSS, and then sends the signal out to the speedo.
    "ALisSa1 Silverado"
    Scrimpin Ain't Easy
    ( . Y . )

"ALisSa1 Silverado"
    Scrimpin Ain't Easy
    ( . Y . )

+ Reply to Thread