Hey guys, newbie to the forum, but have been lurking and doing a lot of research before this. I am
thinking about getting a nice 88-98 c/k1500. Which ever is the better deal will determine the c/k, but would prefer the c. I would like to tackle a 5.3 LS swap. I personally have never done a swap before, but I helped my buddy do a swap on his Subaru so I figured I would be able to do it too.

Specifics: I would like to do a budget turbo 5.3 ls swap. My total budget will be around $13-14k.
I want to make sure that is enough cash and that I will not be way in over my head. And this will all take place over a span of about 6 months which I think is plenty of time, but feel free to tell me otherwise. I will also have another mode of transportation so I will not have to rely on this to get me places while I am building it. I would call myself handy as I have replaced a majority of things on my current car. I really want to learn more about engines which is another reason why I would like to do this. Some of the questions and mock parts list I have are below.

I am wanting to make between 500-600 rwhp with this build. I have read some conflicting things about using diesel turbos and was looking to get a straight answer on them. I live in Bozeman, where turbo diesels and Subarus make up 90% of the cars driving around so I can usually score Hx35's or something of that nature for cheap. If I went for twin turbo hx35's would I be able to use one wastegate and one BOV or would I need two of each or some combo? I would probably go the intercooler route too as I would like it to last and e85 isn't exactly the easiest to find in Montana.I would have my buddy fab up all the pipes for that so that's not too big of a worry.

Would I be able to use the stock driveshaft and rear end for this build or bump it up to something else? If so, what would my options be? The transmissions would either be a 4l60 or a NV3500, just from the trucks I am looking at. If it was a 4l60 I would like an auto/manual valve body and beef up the trans while the motor is out, so what are the best options there?

Should I keep the engine EFI or go to carb? The wiring doesn't seem to bad, but if carbing it is super easy I would entertain the idea.

I have been reading these threads over and over, but I really just want to make sure that this is something I can in fact do. I know it'll be frustating, but I'm ready for it and the challenges. It is also hard compiling everything together and it would save me hours if I could somewhat start compiling everything for my use in one thread.

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...onversion.html
http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...-ls1-swap.html

Any help or other guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Luke

Parts list:
5.3 Engine, ECU and Harness
Oil/Coolant/Trans fluids
Belts
Fuel pump/lines/regulator
Engine Mounts
Turbo flange
Piping
Silicone coupler
Silicone reducer
Oil drain flange