+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking at buying a 00 5.3 for my 85 short bed.

Looking at buying a 00 5.3 for my 85 short bed.

How many guys on here have done the conversion on an old square body? I have found a 00 extended cab with what is supposed to be a 5.3. My first thought was to just put it in stock but I don't think I can allow myself to do that. Lol. So I am looking at cams right now and headers. From what I have read from others at different places it seems like Dirty Dingo mounts are the way to go. I have heard about the Schoenfeld headers but not sure what fits best on the body style I have.

I am just looking for a nice cam to make it sound good and get with it when wanted. I want this truck to be able to make a nice road trip if I want to go somewhere and still hopefully get decent mileage so nothing too big. This truck has the complete drivetrain, wiring etc. Not sure about the AC setup on which way to go yet on that. I have heard that some frame notching may have to be done in order for things to fit. I have also read where the OBS style ac bracket can be used as well. This is all new to me so I am still reading and researching. I plan on using the 4l60e that is on it for now and see how that works for awhile. Still not sure about using the factory intake or do something else with that although I am not sure if that will be in the budget or not. Still have to do a harness and tune or find a place who can tune it there. So much to learn about this.

My truck has been sitting two years since I started the rebuild. I got to the point where I needed a drivetrain and that is where I stopped. Once I can get that in and done then I can get back to have it painted. This is how it sets now. Had the frame blasted and painted, all new lowering suspension, and cab and bed have been all trimmed in with paint.
    Attached Images

Lots of people use dirty dingo mounts, I used kds and thought they were great. http://kds-performance.com/sbc/
    I would use the factory intake since you aren't wandering too far from stock. I like the idea of swapping in a stock cam from a high performance application because they're generally cheaper, but you don't get much of a rumble from them. http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...st-comparison/

+ Reply to Thread