+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 411 as a TCM?

411 as a TCM?

Would it be possible to use a 0411 as a standalone tcm? Aftermarket TCM's can be spendy but an 0411 can be had for about $50. The 6.5 diesel died on our 2000 dually and I am looking at swapping a Cummins in there. Could I repin the factory tranny harness, add a TPS and program away?

i think way back there was a 411 pcm being used as a tcm by a shop.
    just give it all the inputs it needs and it should work.

From what I can find I will need rpm and a tps. Tps is easy. Rpm I might have a couple of options. The factory tach reads the pulses of the stator on the alternator on the "P" terminal. The pulses are similar to the coil energizing. Another option would be to use an old school 4 pin hei module and a reluctor with a pickup. I might even be able to mod a L31 reluctor and ckp. If I can't make the reluctor work I can mod the Cummins balancer and build a bracket to hold the ckp.

On another forum someone said that I would need a cts as well due to different shift tables for temps. I believe that the temps referenced are actually the tranny temps not the coolant temps. My 4L80E has a temp sender.

just looking at the trans tables, you might need:

rpm
    mph
    tps
    torque load (puts the trans pressure at a certain level) , might not need this
    trans temp- maybe, shifts do depend on this

also,
    you can get rpm and vss signal from the pcm if using a factory pcm.
    or, vss can be had from the actual vss sensor, rpm from anything on the engine pretty much.

How is torque load determined?

+ Reply to Thread