+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lq9 transmission help 95 z71

Lq9 transmission help 95 z71

Hey guys, new to this forum but I've been on others for a long time. I just recently got a hold of an 05 lq9 from an escalade. Just a basic cam, headers, intake setup. Expecting around 400whp. It's going in my 1995 rcsb z71 with the floor shift t-case. I am trying to decide between a really built 60e or an 80e. I am weighing my options between both. Expecting a fair amount of track time and redlight digs. But it won't be beaten offroad and I will never tow with it. Basically I am considering a transbuilderguy level 3/3.5 4l60e for $1800ish or just at going with an 80e.
    I have been told my 95 60e can't be controlled by the ls computer so that's why I need to find something new besides the obvious fact it'll die quickly.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand, with an 80e I'll need to shorten my rear driveshaft, get a longer front drive shaft and adjust my wiring and tuning. Wiring isn't a big deal since I'm having a new, complete wiring harness custom made for the swap. Moving the crossmember is no big deal, and I can't get whatever flexplate or spacer I need to get.
    But, I am lost as what to do for my transfer case and I am lost as to what year 80e to look for.
    Please tell me if there is something I am forgetting or overlooking. I have read a lot of posts but I'm still just a little confused on the specifics.

You have many things to consider here but you're asking the right questions. To start, I love 80e's for anything beyond a stock engine. That's not to say a 60 can't be built to live behind some abuse though. I'm pretty sure you were misinformed about keeping your 95 60e. 95 was the first year of PWM TCC control so internally, your existing Trans is no different than a 60 that came behind an LS. Externally there are a few differences though. The extension housing bolt pattern is different between the early and late 60s so your transfer case adaptor will not bolt up to a later 60e.

Basically your choices are keep the 95 60e and run an LQ4 flex plate with spacer or bite the bullet and find an 80e with transfer case (32 spline input shaft) and transfer case adaptor and modify your driveshafts.

I'm tempted to recommend doing the engine conversion while leaving your existing 60e in it. Be preparing to do an 80e swap later on and if and when the 60 fails, just go ahead and do the 80 conversion then.

Well the problem with using my 95 60e is that although it is the first year of pwm, it still had a 12 pin plug simply with an extra wire for the pwm. The ls computer cannot control this aspect and will burn up the trans in just a couple miles of driving. After a little consideration I am leaning towards picking up a 2001 Denali 4l60e that I found and running it as-is for tuning and things initially. All this would be out of complete simplicity and allow me to stay somewhat on budget for my engine build.
    Afterwords, once the swap is complete, I will either build the 60e or make the swap to an 80e. Whatever seems to be the better option at the time. And I have been informed I can use my current floor shift tcase with the 2001 tranny no problem. I am completely lost on transmissions. I have spent, and currently am spending too much time trying to read and learn them, but as far as I'm concerned, they are metal boxes with magic inside. I couldn't look at one and tell you what a single piece of it was.

The main reasons I am contemplating a 60e vs going straight to an 80e is that I do not plan on any nitrous or boost. And I also will never tow anything. I currently have another dd and I don't foresee making many long road trips in this truck. Just strictly a redlight warrior, weekend cruiser, and occasional track day when I'm free. Just a simple 400whp truck.

+ Reply to Thread