+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hulknasty's 95 5.3/60e swap

Hulknasty's 95 5.3/60e swap

Finally getting my parts collected to swap the old 95. To start I found a 5.3 and 4l60e out of a 2001 silverado donor truck. The combo has 108k miles on it. To my surprise the carfax report for the truck it was in stated that it was a 1 owner vehicle with logs of oil changes done at a dealership every 3k miles!

For swap parts I have bought:

dirty dingo slider mounts
    AC delco ep381 fuel pump
    schoenfeld long tube headers
    msd plug wires
    ac delco iridium spark plugs
    current performance wiring harness
    black bear tune
    an fuel fittings
    steel braided fuel hose
    maf sensor
    starter
    cold air intake kit
    drivers side battery tray
    intake gaskets
    transfer case gasket
    o2 sensors

on to pics:

Dusty waiting on some love!

Nice find on the low mileage motor! I'm just about done with the same swap (6.0 into '98 ecsb) and it's not as bad as I was thinking it was going to be. Question, what was the plan for your gauges and accessories if you're going to be using an aftermarket harness? It looks like you have a complete harness that came with the engine, why not use that? I'm just about to complete the harness surgery on my truck and it's not bad, just really time consuming. Good job on getting rid of that nasty IFS by the way, that's the next step for me after the engine swap. Also, I thought they didn't make schoenfeld headers for 4WD trucks?

Thought about using the existing one however there was a fair amount of cutting done to it by the salvage yard where it came from. Mostly went the premade harness route for the clean factor and ease of swap. As far as accessories go, I am not going to run ac. Motor came with power steering pump, alternator, etc. Starter was bad so replaced that. Currently undecided on gauges. Tempted to run a pillar pod setup with the oil pressure, water temp, and trans temp. For right now im leaning towards using adaptors from s&p and using the stock gauges. As for the headers go..they do not make them for 4wd applications because they hit the front diff. I dont have that issue but ive heard they work on lifted ifs trucks as well as long as its a true diff drop lift
    Last edited by Hulknasty; 01-29-2015 at 08:56 PM.

Good looking truck, and, for the most part, your list of pieces sounds OK. I've heard that the fuel pump you're planning on using only puts out around 45 to 48 psi. I've read a few of the Amazon reviews for it awhile back when I was thinking about going with it, and several folks said it wasn't quite enough for the LS motors - especially if you have 350+HP. The nice thing about the pump is that it's the last of it's year (1996) that's for EFI and fits that sending unit you got. It just might not crank enough juice.

Your gauges shouldn't be had to hook up at all - you have the newer gauges where mine has the real old stuff, and I was still able to make that crap work.

Ep381 was for the L31 truck engine. It was designed to run at 58-62psi. It has enough fuel to support 400hp but above that it can't supply fuel fast enough. As I recall it is rated at 180 liters.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Ep381 was for the L31 truck engine. It was designed to run at 58-62psi. It has enough fuel to support 400hp but above that it can't supply fuel fast enough. As I recall it is rated at 180 liters.
    exactly^ no plans to go crazy with power on this truck so the ep381 should work fine

Is this what I need to make my engines steam vent functional with my 95 k1500 radiator??

I was looking at that option ^ or something similar for my steam line. As opposed to drilling and tapping my water pump or stat housing. By the way, running a/c really isn't difficult at all, especially if you get the bracket kit from lextech. I bought it and it looks good and fits perfect, totally worth it, can't wait to be blowing ice cold air this summer!!
    Last edited by Blasphemy; 01-30-2015 at 10:15 PM.

yeah..im just skipping it for now. its never worked so dont think id really miss it honestly. on a side note I just noticed that my radiator has an extra port thats plugged off. Wonder if I can just run my steam line to that instead

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemy View Post
    I was looking at that option ^ or something similar for my steam line. As opposed to drilling and tapping my water pump or stat housing. By the way, running a/c really isn't difficult at all, especially if you get the bracket kit from lextech. I bought it and it looks good and fits perfect, totally worth it, can't wait to be blowing ice cold air this summer!!
    His is a 95. Lextech's kit is for the 96-00 with the vortec engine.

+ Reply to Thread