+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 96 chevy k1500 lq4/4l80e swap

Haha, you're at the most fun stage! I love the tear down and impending build up. She's a little dirty, but should clean up nicely. Also, I think its fun to note our fleets are very similar. I have a 95 Z28. Gotta spread the Fbody/OBS love...! Just picked up an LS7 to replace my little modded LT1 357 though.

haha that's cool! too bad you are getting rid of the lt though.... but an ls7 should be tons of fun. I thought about swapping an lsx into my car, but I really like the lt1 when it is running right....which it is not right now. going to replace the opti for the second time since the spring this weekend which will hopefully fix the stuttering issues I have been having. car will eventually be going turbo (already have the kit with a PT76 turbo) just need to build the trans, rear end, cage and swap to the 24x ignition... good bye opti! lol

anyways, I am in process of fixing up the rear of the frame on the truck. pulled the bed off on Tuesday and dropped it off at my buddies shop to have the rust fixed and have it repainted. most of the crossmembers and brackets are swiss cheese so I am replacing those and applying por15 to everything. also will finish tearing down the motor this weekend and once I get the bed back on, I will be bringing the short block to the machine shop to have it gone through and checked and cleaned up. hoping to be able to do that next week, but all depends on how long this frame work/painting will take

96 chevy k1500, 5.7l vortec, 4l60e, 14 bolt, volant CAI, pacesetter LTs, spintech 6000, b&m, 33's--awaiting lq4/4l80e swap
    94 z28 camaro m6, 383 LT1, slp CAI, pacesetter LTs w/ORY, e-cut out, spintech 2otl, hurst SS, strano sways, BMR suspension, viking coilovers, solomon tuned

Don't get me wrong, I have a soft spot for the LT1. I'm on opti number 7. I think it dies cuz of something I did though. I realized that I dont have the second in line air valve that the vented II's have. Which, is a restriction of some sort to stop the intake vacuum from pulling in the optical disk. Every time I get the symptoms of the opti I pop her open and the disk is all.... distorted. I was ready to redo the opti this fall when I get the car back from the body shop. But... I work at a dealer and this LS7 deal fell into my lap. It's from a 15 Z28. And for what I paid for it, no one with a pulse would have passed it up. And so... that swap begins.

Once your truck is finished though, it'll be real nice. I ended up swapping in a 14 bolt from a 2003 Suburban 2500 into mine. So I have factory rear discs and I don't have to pull axles out to swap rotors.... lol. All I needed to do was move the spring perches. Cake. I have the usual cab corner rust, but my frame is solid at least. It's a journey thats for sure, but its all worth it.

wow that is awesome i would have done the same thing lol. i cant wait until the truck is done, i am pushing to get the motor swapped before the winter since i dont think the 350 is going to last through the winter. i beat the crap out of it in the winter hooning around in the snow with my buddies and their subarus. thats awesome that you got a 14 bolt with the disks, i have the disk conversion for it just waiting for the drums to go.

96 chevy k1500, 5.7l vortec, 4l60e, 14 bolt, volant CAI, pacesetter LTs, spintech 6000, b&m, 33's--awaiting lq4/4l80e swap
    94 z28 camaro m6, 383 LT1, slp CAI, pacesetter LTs w/ORY, e-cut out, spintech 2otl, hurst SS, strano sways, BMR suspension, viking coilovers, solomon tuned

Haha, yeaaa thats how it happens. I'm hoping to have my issues in my truck squared away soon, get the tuning sorted, and then have the LS7 swapped into my Camaro by the end of next summer so I can go to LS Fest and act all cool. hahaha

I think the only motor I would swap into my car is one of the new lt1 motors, just so I can still say I have an lt1 Camaro lol.

got a bit more done over the weekend, pulled the gas tank and its crossmembers, next is to pull the axle/leafsprings and the hitch and it will be a bare frame and I can get started on the rust repair and get it coated. I am expecting the bed will be done later this week and I definitely wont have the truck ready for it as I still have parts to order and source a spare tire crossmember

rolled the axle out from under the truck and I am done with the teardown of the frame. had my buddy who is painting the bed look over the frame and he suggested just plating the inside of the C channel with 3/16 plate and adding gussets instead of splicing in a new frame section and then building my own cross member out of rectangular tubing since I don't care about the spare tire mechanism. he let me borrow his mig welder to do all the work, I just need to order the materials. I am going to measure out what I need tonight and order the metal. once the metal comes in I will get to making some sparks and get this thing finished up.

Now winter is upon us so I assume you're taking a break on your truck until spring thaw?

nope, still working on it, been in the 50s-60s during the days for the last week and hopefully the next week or so too. getting the tank for the welder filled up today and hopefully be able to finish up the welding on the frame this weekend and start putting everything back together. I have some of it welded, just ran out of gas. motor swap is going to have to be postponed till next spring, but I will be able to get the motor and trans ready to drop in over the winter as well as make sure I have everything associated with the swap ready to go

I have a 97 k1500 6.5 with the 4l80e that I want to swap a 6.0 from an 03 3500 into. I can get the whole truck, running and driving for $200. Just looking for ideas what I have to do to throw it in? Thanks!
    Last edited by Morrison8; 11-30-2015 at 02:59 PM.

+ Reply to Thread