+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Project Truck

New Project Truck

Just picked up this 99 Sonoma with a 5.3 in it.

Should be a fun truck when its done. This one is gonna take quite some time to get it going.

Been lurking since 09 and I finally have my kickass 6.0 LQ4
    LQ4 LQ9 6.0L Engine Service Manual Save to your computer in case it disappears

Finally have a game plan for this one.

I am going to run the 5.3, as long as all is well once I tear it apart and inspect it, and run a carb setup on it and a 150-200 shot of N2O. Build a turbo 350 behind this one.

I just got an MSD 6LS box delivered to me today.

I still need to find a cam for this 5.3. Any idea on a cam for street driven but good for nitrous at the track?
    Last edited by capricefrk013; 05-01-2015 at 07:21 PM.

Carb cams are kind of a different game. LSA should be much lower than what you might be accustom to something like 107-109
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

waiting to go in... 3.90s, 214/220cam

If you already have the LS intake on there, why would you go backwards in technology and put a carb on there? That's like taking you disc brakes off to put on a drum setup. Is that the LS1 or LS6 manifold? Are you planning on selling it?

Quote Originally Posted by kerrige View Post
    Carb cams are kind of a different game. LSA should be much lower than what you might be accustom to something like 107-109
    Thanks. I will keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemy View Post
    If you already have the LS intake on there, why would you go backwards in technology and put a carb on there? That's like taking you disc brakes off to put on a drum setup. Is that the LS1 or LS6 manifold? Are you planning on selling it?
    It has the stock truck intake on it now. He wouldn't let the intake go with it. Plus it was the LS1 intake. I want to make this one as simple as possible and a carb setup is much more simpler than an EFI setup. For the most part. Plus my dad is old school and I am new school and I got him turned over to the LS world and we both want to see what kind of power can be made by meshing old school and new technology together.

Carb, intake, air cleaner and breather are on order and will be here next week.

My old 305 has been torn down and the engine stand is empty so I can pull the 5.3 and put it on the engine stand so I can go through it.

Can't wait to see this one. What intake and carb are you using?

Some parts showed up today. I still need to take the block apart and inspect it.

I was looking for a 6.0 or 6.2 and they are hard to find locally so I am gonna move forward with the 5.3. I am gonna bore it out and go ahead and run nitrous.

What is the safest bore diameter these motors can be bored out to?

I am looking at going with a Howards Cam # 190375-10. It is a cam made for LS running Carbs. The reason I am going with Howards Cams is because my dad has used them for years in many street rods he has built with great results. It was always between Crower and Howard Cams.

Any suggestions from the members on here?

+ Reply to Thread