+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Supercharger Setup? Built 6.0 swapped into 99-02

Supercharger Setup? Built 6.0 swapped into 99-02

99-02 body 2wd mildy built 6.0 about 450 to the wheels. Im wanting to supercharge it without killing my wallet. I drive it daily with no problems as it was built for so, not looking for crazy boost but would be happy with 7-10psi. Looking to go cheap as possible and do not really want a intercooler dangling down an inch off the ground and dont really want to go with meth as the girlfriend does drive from time to time. New to this and this is my first post any help would be appreciated thanks guys!
    Attached Images

What all do you have done to it so far?

I put an Magnuson 122 on my 02 and have never been happier. I went on the cheap side and found one on eBay. If I remember right I gave around $2500 for the whole kit. I live in Kentucky and have pulled my 66 Nova from here to Austin Tx and back in my 24' Inclose. Just something to think about.

i don't have my IC dangling under the truck either...it's behind the grill
    '13 silverado LT...stock

'11 lt 4x4 z71..tvs1900

'01 gmc twins 6.0 jakes 400 ladder bars w/ coilovers tuned by nelson performance

I don't have my IC dangling under the truck either...it's behind the grill....find you a used charger for your truck and you will be happy as these things are indestructible.
    '13 silverado LT...stock

'11 lt 4x4 z71..tvs1900

'01 gmc twins 6.0 jakes 400 ladder bars w/ coilovers tuned by nelson performance

and if you can get a good deal on a TVS unit (1900 or 2300), it'd be well worth it over a 112 or 122 because it's much more efficient.
    whipples also usually do pretty good, but being a twin screw, normally run a little hotter than the roots units.
    00 FRC - just top end, exhaust, and a hot-air intake
    99 Sierra - 5.3 / 5spd
    ↓ click the pic for the build ↓

The reason I asked what was done to it so far is because 450 to the wheels is pretty good naturally aspirated.... Especially if that's through a 4l80. If you have high compression heads or pistons you'll need to change that for boost... You are probably running the wrong cam too. Not that you can't put a supercharger on, it's just that you may need to change a few things along with it to get the full benefit from being boosted.

while ^^ is true, you don't necessarily have to swap all those components out. will it be optimal? no, but guys boosted 10-11:1 motors all the time. you have to keep the boost lower to keep the cylinder pressure below KR, and it'll maintain its off-boost response. granted, a 9:1 with more boost is gonna make a good bit more power WOT because it has a lot more air in the cylinder at the same cyl pressure & it's usually cooler, but it'll sacrifice part-throttle oomph. depending on the cam it might still work, but at 450hp now, i'm guessing it's got a bit more overlap than a PD blower would like. centrifugals tend to run alright on N/A cams because they're built for top-end anyway.
    99 Sierra - 5.3 / 5spd

Good point... I wasn't thinking about the centrifugal type.. I was thinking more the tvs style.

he did say he wanted the cheap option...

a PD blower would be more suited for truck-use applications, but if he's fine with driving around with the same feel as he has now but a big punch from about 3500 rpm on up, a centri would work.
    99 Sierra - 5.3 / 5spd

+ Reply to Thread