+ Reply to Thread

Thread: '98 k1500 ext cab Z71 13.0 sec truck N/A

'98 k1500 5.7 swap. LS3? Or LQ9?

Hi guys.

New to the site here and looking to get a jump start on a ls swap.

My goal is a 13 sec truck and was curious as what engine would be required for this.

I was thinking LS3 for displacement size but was wondering if a LQ4/LQ9 was more appropriate.

If anyone could post a link and point me in the right direction that would be great. I started reading joseph potak the complete swap manual and how to build and modify gm LS-series engines and am getting lots on cars but nothing to much about our trucks.

I'll continue readings reds sticky up top. Still more would be nice. Thanks.
    Last edited by BUMBLEBEE_SS; 03-30-2015 at 07:20 AM.

13 second 4WD? I'm the owner of the same truck you're talking about and I'm just wondering why you'd want to push all that drivetrain that hard and fast? I also have a '80 scsb 2WD that is being built into my 10 sec truck with twins on it but I want the best of both worlds. A built 6.0 will def get you to the 13s but those motors are all about torque. You'll save quite a bit of cash if you use an iron block vs aluminum and you can put the money saved towards go fast parts. For the price of a relatively complete LS3 you're looking to spend $3K-$5K and that's used! For $5K you can build a pretty badass iron 6.0 that'll put you well into the 400s for hp and torque at the wheels

"13's" or "13.0"
    13.90's are one thing, but if you want "13.0" you might as well aim for 12.90's. and that extra second is gonna be tougher.

That said - a k1500 is a big bitch. I'd build an lq4 (or lq9 if you find a good deal on one) and spend the savings on gearing the hell out of that thing.

Big cam, heads, intake mani, tb, headers, veeeery free exhaust and some dyno time with a good tuner.
    Even then I'd keep a bottle of "the dentist special" on hand... knowwutimsayin

Oh - and go ahead and start saving to rebuild that 4l60e if you're auto.
    I like things with spark plugs...
    ... oh, and boobs - I like those too.

+1 on the trans
    Like Tumbler in "Gone in 60" I'll drive anything with wheels or without

My 95 ECSB LQ9 build thread - http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...to-95-obs.html
    CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!
    Stock 03 LQ9, DBW, 95' 4l80e w/ Transgo shift kit, 2010 50# GM injectors, 2800 Circle D stall, Spectre CAI, Upgraded trans cooler, Home-made E-fans/shroud, Dual EP-381 fuel pumps w/Home-made hotwire kit
    NEXT ON LIST: Dual Battery setup, CAM/Valvetrain upgrade, Build my own rear mount turbo, TRU-TRAC, HIT THE STRIP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemy View Post
    13 second 4WD? I'm the owner of the same truck you're talking about and I'm just wondering why you'd want to push all that drivetrain that hard and fast? I also have a '80 scsb 2WD that is being built into my 10 sec truck with twins on it but I want the best of both worlds. A built 6.0 will def get you to the 13s but those motors are all about torque. You'll save quite a bit of cash if you use an iron block vs aluminum and you can put the money saved towards go fast parts. For the price of a relatively complete LS3 you're looking to spend $3K-$5K and that's used! For $5K you can build a pretty badass iron 6.0 that'll put you well into the 400s for hp and torque at the wheels

The truck has been a daily driver for 2 years now. More of a save it then scrap it truck as it's still in good shape

Okay. The only reason I mention the LS3 is cause I have one in my camaro and would build a new LS3 to drop in the camaro and shift the motor over to the truck.

I guess I'll cut the savings and do a 6.0
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ibelonginprison View Post
    "13's" or "13.0"
    13.90's are one thing, but if you want "13.0" you might as well aim for 12.90's. and that extra second is gonna be tougher.

That said - a k1500 is a big bitch. I'd build an lq4 (or lq9 if you find a good deal on one) and spend the savings on gearing the hell out of that thing.

Big cam, heads, intake mani, tb, headers, veeeery free exhaust and some dyno time with a good tuner.
    Even then I'd keep a bottle of "the dentist special" on hand... knowwutimsayin

Oh - and go ahead and start saving to rebuild that 4l60e if you're auto.

I am auto. I had the tranny rebuilt (for stock) 2 years ago.

Just has a stage 1 shift kit

+ Reply to Thread