+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 5.3 swap into '94 Full Size Blazer - aka Big Ugly - build thread

Harness shipped and will be here Monday.
    Dual electric fans showed up yesterday.

Booyah!

Have to swap the drivers side hub assembly on my father in law's F250 Saturday morning, then do some work on my boat to get it ready for lake season... but I hope to have enough time to pull the motor and trans from the truck this weekend as well.
    I like things with spark plugs...
    ... oh, and boobs - I like those too.

Worked on the Blazer this past weekend and got some more parts in, just now getting around to posting updates.

OK, so – spent another 5 hours getting the engine, transmission, transfer case etc. yanked and then everything cleaned up for the day. All wire connections on the existing harness marked, fluids drained correctly and WITHOUT MESS (hence why it took 5 hours, because I let everything drain slowly into a pan and would give it 20 minutes to finish.) Cleaned up as I went and in general just took my time. This second half to the process could have easily been done in 3 hours had I put the attention to it, but since getting the motor out was my only goal for the day, there was no need to do that. I just wanted to put a focus on NOT crawling around in fluids and dirt, (like when we pulled the 5.3 from the Burb) and make sure that everything was labeled correctly and went back in place for when I do a test fit of the new motor this upcoming weekend.

I snagged a pressure washer from my father in law - who, by the way, has actually been a tremendous help in keeping me on task (ADHD is a mother f***er sometimes) – and have spent about an hour on the engine bay, and about another hour cleaning up tools and organizing bolts, test fitting the transfer case to the new transmission etc.

So I put about 7 hours on the project this weekend total. No money spent (thank you, sweet 8lb 6oz little baby Jesus) and so far in the project zero specialty tools needed.

I called S&P about the temp sensor adapter and the oil sending unit adapter last week and spoke with Tom. They need specifics as far as which sensor I have – and I haven’t taken the time to pull them out and measure them yet. But the adapters are roughly $20 a piece. These adapters supposedly make it where you just run your existing temp and oil press. sensors and it makes wiring up the gauges a snap. I’ll let you know how that turns out.

OK… not as many pics, because there’s not a lot to document. Everything was pretty straight forward. I will say that it would be easier to drop the transmission support and lower the rear of the trans/transfer case to get to the top bolt on the transfer case… but it’s not bad where it is, just can’t get your eyes on it where it sits.

Then the next day, pressure washing…

And at the end of all this noise, I decided to be nice to my neighbors and ziptie the grille back in place so at first glance down my driveway, it doesn’t look quite as much of a disaster as it really is.

And the “semi dramatic transformation shots”

BADASS! Hey, while you're in there that deep, why not throw a solid axle on the front? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemy View Post
    BADASS! Hey, while you're in there that deep, why not throw a solid axle on the front? lol
    You have no idea how much I want to do that right now while its torn apart.
    I've been hitting Craigslist every couple days for the last 2 months looking for a drivers drop D44. (I already swapped in a 9.5" 14bolt in the rear)

I really don't want to do a d60/10.5 14b swap...
    The transition to 8 lugs, new wheels, new tires, you know I'd have to re-gear all of it... too much cheese.

A good friend of mine is in the middle of a ridiculous build on his '14 Rubicon. Should have it done in a couple weeks.
    Yanked the rubi axles, doing trussed D60, trussed 10.5 14 bolt, arb's, hubs, knuckles, high steer, 42's... it's a money pit with no bottom in sight. He's probably between 8-10g's into it... and I'm not trying to follow those footsteps! Lol

I know how you feel. I started putting my parts together to do the SAS but after getting the axle housings I wanted (D60/14FF) I realized it was going to cost me at least $3500 to build each one! So yeah, after about $10K I'll have my setup built, mostly lol. Damn these money pits! But if you think about it, it's better than spending $600 a month for a brand new stock truck that costs $40K when you could build a seriously bamf truck for half that or less!

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemy View Post
    I know how you feel. I started putting my parts together to do the SAS but after getting the axle housings I wanted (D60/14FF) I realized it was going to cost me at least $3500 to build each one! So yeah, after about $10K I'll have my setup built, mostly lol. Damn these money pits! But if you think about it, it's better than spending $600 a month for a brand new stock truck that costs $40K when you could build a seriously bamf truck for half that or less!
    It'd be different if I didn't have so many projects....

my car - supercharged G35:

My wife's car - G37 IPL:

My boat - Malibu Wakesetter, 23lsv:

and of course this rats nest of old school beat up love... the Blazer:

I have too many projects, and I do NOT make enough money. lol
    Some months it's like I get my paycheck and then throw a dart at the wall and I'm like "ok, this month the boat gets a new sub..." or "right on, time for the front bumper of the G to get repainted."

Hahaha whoa there baller!! I throw a dart at the wall each paycheck and determine which bill to pay, I wish I had your "problem"

hahaha... 21 year old beater trucks and 11 year old Infiniti's don't count as baller. I have friends that own Lambo's, Porsches, GTR's, and Ferrari's.
    I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel compared to them. Trust me, I'm fffffffaaaaaaaaaaar from baller status.

And, it took me quite a while to get to this little collection. My G and the truck have been paid off for years.
    Dual income family, no kids, and the wife and I share the same hobby of cars/boats. I'm not rich, just lucky!

Didn't work much this weekend on it, I spent about 15 minutes painting some black over the bare metal, then about another 30-45 minutes tinkering with the 5.3 in the garage.
    So I added about an hour total to the wrench time for the project.

A friend of mine swapped a crate LS3 into his track 350Z... and also made it RHD, but that's beside the point... and he had the exhaust manifolds left over so he gave them to me. Not sure if they'll work or not, it dumps downward at a lot steeper angle, so I'm going to have to see if it goes into the frame rail or not when I test fit the motor.

Also added the Dirty Dingo motor mounts, left them loose'ish for when I slide the motor and trans in and need to see how it all fits.

Aside from that, saw that I had a couple more broken coil packs, sooooo... I found a dude that would send me 8 coil packs, brackets, wire harness, and even the plug wires for $90 shipped. I COULD probably find a better deal, but this seemed like a quick and easy solution. So I returned the coil pack I bought (which was the wrong one anyway - I didn't pay close enough attention to it ) and have those on the way to me.

+ Reply to Thread