+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Broken Transfer Case NP246/ Twisted drive shaft

Unhappy Broken Transfer Case NP246/ Twisted drive shaft

So on the way home last night, I felt the truck shudder and about 20 seconds later heard and felt the drive shift brake loose from the rear end. After I had the truck towed home I, took a look under the truck to see the damage. It appears that the transfer case locked up and turned the drive shaft into a pretzel as well as putting a grand canyon wide crack in the transfer case to transmission adapter. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? The rear-end rolls freely. There was no whining noise prior the event from the rear-end. I plan to take it apart this week for further inspection.

07 ECSB 5.3 , Corsa Sport Exhaust , Magnaflow Catted Y-pipe, SLP Cold Air Intake , Corvette Servo, Tinted taillights , HP tuners Debadged

Lol ooops.... U win!
    Built 2 Run! 6XX HP/ 6XX TQ

The closest thing that I have seen to that was my 72 Land Cruiser that I swapped a 383 stroker into. The transfer case popped out of 4 low and broke the adapter between the SM465 transmission and the Toyota transfer case as well as shearing the cheap bolts at the cross member. It broke the adapter in two pieces and the transfer case fell to the ground with the drive shafts. I would have loved to have seen the look on my face when I watched the shifter fall through the boot!

Took the transfer case out and split it open, I didn't find the smoking gun inside :/ , gonna take it to a shop for inspection. Has any one here had transfer case failure due to the "Pump Rub" the occurs when the oil pump starts to eat the casing?
    07 ECSB 5.3 , Corsa Sport Exhaust , Magnaflow Catted Y-pipe, SLP Cold Air Intake , Corvette Servo, Tinted taillights , HP tuners Debadged

+ Reply to Thread