+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GMC 1500 LS1 swap specific questions

GMC 1500 LS1 swap specific questions

ok, so ill do my best to outline everything here and explain the reason for my questions. i have done quite a bit of searching and looking on here and all over online and am still slightly unclear about a few things... so heres my story. i will be swapping the 5.3 out of my 2001 gmc 1500 and dropping in a LS1 out of a 99 camaro ss. now before you start telling me to buy an lq9 instead let me point out my 5.3 has 205,000 HARD miles on it and is tired, i live in bfe and had zero luck finding a decent lq9 or lq4 for that matter, and the price on the LS1 is right, very right it has low miles and its close to me. i do not plan on going crazy with it i drive this truck on a daily basis i do not race it. i am right now only figuring on a small cam probably headers and of course having the ecm retuned for the engine and mods. so heres where my questions begin... i have read a couple places that with the truck accessories there is a fitment issue with the front of the water pump? also if i were to use the car intake manifold then id really have accessory fitment issues?and need to swap the injectors(no need to go into performance talk ive definitely covered that in my search) i guess to say the least my main concern is what all additional i will need to purchase to make the swap. i have all of my truck parts obviously and the LS1 is a complete long block with the intake still on. i just want to have every odd and end i may need come the day i make this happen. Any help is appreciated and Thanks in advance!

Just use the truck balancer, water pump and all accessories keep your truck intake. Plug it.in and go.
    Last edited by Chevydillan; 11-07-2014 at 10:11 AM.
    97 RCSB . 2WD . 5.3 . 4l60E . E-FANS . PNP 706s . TSP 228R . 3600 STALL . HD2 . VETTE SERVO . 3.73s . 2" DROP
    TURBO IN THE WORKS

awesome thanks alot for the response! so lets just say in theory, i wanted to use the car intake on the motor mostly for visual purposes, what all would need changed?

Car intake won't fit with truck water pump and car water pump is shorter. The ls3 Camaro water pump has the same spacing as the truck accessories and will let you use the car intake. I hope that made sense.
    97 RCSB . 2WD . 5.3 . 4l60E . E-FANS . PNP 706s . TSP 228R . 3600 STALL . HD2 . VETTE SERVO . 3.73s . 2" DROP
    TURBO IN THE WORKS

yea i gotcha. so if i got my hands on an ls3 water pump, my accessories would all fit, and used my truck injectors so the wiring would be right, then the car intake would be usable in my application.

Yes. Exactly
    TURBO IN THE WORKS

awesome thanks alot.

The ecu would be programmed to run a 5.3l. Your fueling may be lean when you put a 5.7l in. Might want to get a tune.

I'd stick with the truck intake because I've seen superchevy.com do a build and found that the truck intake makes more bottom end power which is what you need for the weight of your truck and the ls1 intake makes more power in the top end. There isn't a huge advantage to switching to the lower profile intake. If you're going for aesthetics, I'm sure a true LS enthusiast will know what they're looking at when you pop the hood, regardless of intake.

Yea i knew that it'll getting tuned. i just really dont like how sh**ty the truck intake looks, and i dont care what someone else thinks when they see it,(i live in wyoming, theres like 3 of us that know what were looking at lol) but what i think when i pop my own hood. if im not losing 25+ hp to run the car intake id rather do that because yea it looks way better than that tore up truck intake or the vortec engine cover that came on it. its just my preference i guess, i understand that power wise the truck intake is the smart choice, but this isnt a racer, id rather it look good when im all done.

+ Reply to Thread