+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 89 TBI to vette LS2 CNC H/C + N20 build

89 TBI to vette LS2 CNC H/C + N20 build

Whats up guys, feels like It's been a long time since I've logged on here.. Figured since I aquired an OBS for my younger brothers (they are 15 yr old twins) I'd do my part in teaching them a little about wrenching on these engines/trucks the same way I did when I was 15.

The setup is fairly simple and similar to what I had in my Fbody trans Am before I went forced induction with it. best nitrous pass to date before the Fab 9 broke was 10.41 @131 on a 100 shot

Aluminum LS2 with 75k miles (fbody was lq4 370ci)
    melling high volume oil pump
    2 Bar Racing CNC 243 heads (Shop That I tune at) (hand me downs from trans am)
    Tick performance 231/238 113+3 LSA Street Heat Cam (hand me down from Trans Am)
    stock LS7 Lifters 0 miles picked up for $80 new in box
    schoenfeld 1-3/4 headers, (My old fbody 1-7/8 will not fit in an OBS, up for sale if anyone is interested, TSP brand)
    4l60e built, 3600 yank SS stall (hand me down from Trans am)
    racetronix 255lph pump (hand me down)
    green top 42lbs injectors
    NNBS intake and jantzer black widow 92mm throttle body
    NX dual stage 102mm plate

will post pictures as soon as photobucket finishes the uploads

It's a little beat up but I believe it will make for a perfect sleeper, with AC and creature comforts. I want to find some rally wheels with baby moons to replace the hideous rapper wheels, a little more drop wouldn't hurt. truck has some sort of aftermarket upper control arms in the front and the previous owner removed the overload springs in the rear, this would probably cause wheel hop but the Caltracs will prevent this, if I ever need to tow my turbo car with it I will be installing helper bags as well.

Here is the start of the build pretty much.. Working under my event tent because I will be turning the 30x40 concrete pad into a garage soon.

Out with the tired TBI boat anchor, (I have a deep hatred for these engines LOL)

the engine bay needed a teeny bit of help so I shot it with some rustoleum semi gloss paint, It doesn't have to be pretty, just neat. The whole truck will be undergoing a "shop truck/rat rod" theme.

The meat of the swap.. stock block with CNC heads and a mean cam from Martin@tick performance.

Some pics of the CNC work (heads have run time on them from my old setup)

for comparison reasons. these heads were CNC ported by our shop intern who attended SAM racing school in Houston TX a few years ago. these heads with stock sized valve will outflow any other casting on the market. period.

The vehicles the truck will be towing on occasion to events.

my track/street car/TX2k car, shooting for 1000rwhp this year, up from 734rwhp on 93+methanol

My Current Daily, 491rwhp cam only, this car sees Auto X events and is not light by any means. this one will put the truck to the test as far as towing goes.
    97 xcab c1500 lm7 5.3 swap 343RWHP 329RWTQ 13.40 @ 101.97 2.03 60ft. MODS: Longtubes, 3200 stall, TR220 112lsa, .030 799 heads, NNBS intake, PTM 92mm TB. 4" PVC "hot" air intake 3" single exhaust w/cutout 3.42:1 gears, 29" tall tires. Dyno tuned by flaco

not too much progress today if any.. attempted to replace the passenger side motor mount on the frame.. I had forgotten how much of a pain in the ass these trucks were to do that..Managed to get 2 bolts off of it before I got upset and walked away from it.

Later on in the day I cleaned up some of the truck wiring, cut out obvious plugs and wires like the TBI injectors etc. map sensor pigtail and what not. But I do have a few questions for you guys since this 89 pickup is a little different from my old 97.

i know the fuel pump wire and other important accesory wiring is on that firewall mounted junction block, what all do i need to keep??

btw I painted the valve covers last night, look pretty sweet if you ask me haha, I don't usually rattle can this good.
    97 xcab c1500 lm7 5.3 swap 343RWHP 329RWTQ 13.40 @ 101.97 2.03 60ft. MODS: Longtubes, 3200 stall, TR220 112lsa, .030 799 heads, NNBS intake, PTM 92mm TB. 4" PVC "hot" air intake 3" single exhaust w/cutout 3.42:1 gears, 29" tall tires. Dyno tuned by flaco

sick build richard

Quote Originally Posted by 400ss_la paloma View Post
    sick build richard

damn, caught with my hand in the cookie jar, who is this lol

Awesome build! Also those are some good looking cars as well.

Trey

nitrousexpress.com
    facebook page
    youtube channel
    join newsletter

Pm, Call (888)463-2781, or email Trey@nitrousexpress.com for Tech or sales

MADE Proudly IN THE USA

Quote Originally Posted by NitrousExpress View Post
    Awesome build! Also those are some good looking cars as well.

Trey
    Thanks man, appreciate the kind words!

Btw, if You see Garrett around, tell him Hotshot said what's up lol

subbed.!!!!

Got a few updates for you guys. motor is in!

Had to track down an unlocked PCM in a crate full of "tuner locked" PCM's. took me about 4 tries, I brought it home and bench flashed it using the PSI harness hooked up to my car lmao

Took me a few tries to sit it down because the Motor mount on the passenger side was too stiff.

NNBS intake and TB/42lbs injectors mocked up on the intake. I'll need spacers for the rail mounting holes unfortunately but no issues for me.

used this little bad boy on the stock fuel pump assembly, hand me down from my trans am and should fuel it well enough for a 100 shot

Got 20 foot of rubber 300PSI -6 line, hose ends, and O ring to AN adapters for the fuel pump assembly. I used straights here and 90's up by the firewall for the corvette fuel filter

Still need to push the fittings themselves further into the hose but the picture gets the point across lol

Ordered a true trac locker and 4.10 gears, picking up the caltracs tomorrow as well.

Shortly after that, Me and a buddy are going to see if these TSP 1-7/8 Fbody headers will fit the truck, if not, then I have a set of schoenfelds new in box. I would rather have the advantage of the 1-7/8 though. especially with nitrous.

What adapters did you use to adapt the fuel pump assembly to the -6 an fitting?
    Also if you could tell what fittings you used on the vette filter I know one is 3/8's
    Is the other one 5/16's also what about the single end coming out of the filter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mike205 View Post
    What adapters did you use to adapt the fuel pump assembly to the -6 an fitting?
    Also if you could tell what fittings you used on the vette filter I know one is 3/8's
    Is the other one 5/16's also what about the single end coming out of the filter
    Thanks
    The single ended female socket on the filter is 3/8. The feed to the filter is 3/8, the return from the filter is 5/16

I will get the o ring adapter fitting sizes later in the evening

+ Reply to Thread