+ Reply to Thread

Thread: heads or intake

heads or intake

243 heads for my ls1 or intake

I'm doing little research and wanted to ask you guys and girls opinions on what to do.
    Truck is currently cam only with bolt ons
    Assume stock ls1 heads 00 c5 is on the truck.(853)
    I'm wanting to find some 243 heads and have them ported as well.
    When buying the heads what do I need to look for to tell if there in good shape?
    Where do you all recommend as far as a machine shop?
    And motor currently has stock truck intake. Can I have that ported?
    Was wanting edlebrock high rise intake. I know have read that's better for boosted apps but if I buy intake that is the one I will buy. With that I have change tb 4 bolt which I will get 90mm. And I have change fuel rails as well.
    Thanks for any tips or advice

Any reputable LSX shop can port them. Ai, tea, tooley the list goes on and on. 243's would compliment the ls1. Have them milled some as well to bring compression up. What cam are you running or still stock? The truck intakes flow pretty well for what they are. The high rise is definitely not the intake to use unless you have a 400+ cu in motor and scream it to the moon. For your power level the stocker will work just fine or possibly a Tbss intake swap. A lot of factors will determine which type or head job you will want. We need more info on your entire setup and goals
    2005 GMC RST *sold
    2006 Silverado SS with nawz

Truck right now put 370 to ground.
    Tfs cam 228 / 230 585/585 on a 112
    I checked out tea looks like 1300 to 1400 set that have been milled. I think that is sending my stock heads as a core.

As far as goals. I'd like to get into 11s. Currently 12.7 trapped 105. Truck has been in 11s with 100 shot. I have been told to just put the bottle on it be done. But I'd like to have heads and intake and then the bottle.
    I guess if I go the intake route I should go with ls6 or fast.

thats moving pretty good. what is your weight, converter, gearing, and tire? look into some linkbar lifters, a trunion upgrade, them ported and milled 243s with a good valve job. Id stray away from the ls6 and the tbss flows the same but retains higher tq #'s as it had longer runners. A fast lsxrt is a good upgrade especially if you go 102 and have it ported will yield some signigicant gains. they are just expensive! those upgrades along with some weight reduction and another 50 on the pill will make you very happy
    2005 GMC RST *sold

Not 100% sure on weight assume 4700lbs.
    I currently have truion upgrade.
    3600 stall 4.10 gear 28" rear drag radial. 30" front tire.
    The fast lsxrt is that the fast truck intake. I read they had some die issues and problems with the fast truck intake leaks due to warp when being made.

i believe they had those issues worked out. I just installed one a couple weeks ago and even with a NW 102 TB zero issues getting the thing working right. Tuning was a breeze as well. Just a pricey piece and unported gains were not that much. now couple that with a good set of ported heads and you have a nice setup. id go heads first...
    2005 GMC RST *sold

i wouldnt waste my time with a set of 243s for those prices. look into some TFS as cast 220s and be done with it
    a GMT900 intake can be had cheap and decent gain

bigger cam, bigger headers, bigger stall, steeper gears and youll start running hard
    2002 Lightning - GT headed 5.5Litre w/ Twin 7665s
    2002 Silverado - 427Lsx w/ Twin gt4202s
    2010 Silverado crewcab Z71 - 5.3litre w/ procharger
    2000 Wrangler - 5.3litre with some stance
    2014 Xsport- 3.5 Eco boost
    412 Motorsports

it ain't that I'm too big to listen to the rumors, It's just that I'm too damn big to pay attention to 'em..That's the difference

I would do heads over intake. http://elliottsportworks.com/?page_id=7 You could upgrade to the nnbs intake. If you keep looking you can find one fairly cheap.

SDPC has worked 60cc 243s for about $1100 I believe and I bet they will make a deal for the holidays. I wouldn't spend the money on an intake manifold at this point. If anything a NNBS intake with 90mm will be plenty.
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

waiting to go in... 3.90s, 214/220cam

+ Reply to Thread