+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: L94 & 6L80 Into My '92 2dr K1500 Blazer

For the record a newer or older pcm can control a newer or older alternator.

OK, I had thought it was hard to set that up. How do you go about setting it up for the PCM to control the post 2007 alternator?
    1992 K1500 Blazer.
    L94 & 6L80
    14 Bolt SF axle w/11" brakes & appropriate Combination brake valve, Eaton Trutrac rear posi.
    8000# hidden winch, Rocket Box, KYB Monomax shocks
    285/75R16 Duratracks
    Flat Panel Display Gauge cluster in progress.
    http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...00-blazer.html
    New interior & exterior paint planned.

The harness should ship 2nd day air on Monday... Waiting is killing me!
    1992 K1500 Blazer.
    L94 & 6L80
    14 Bolt SF axle w/11" brakes & appropriate Combination brake valve, Eaton Trutrac rear posi.
    285/75R16 Duratracks

The harness finally came fro Motech! Unfortunately, I'm now gone on a work trip for a week, then I have to do the wiring on our remodel. The earliest I'll be able to work on the truck will be the 14th, but I might have to go on another trip by then. So, possibly the 20th or so before I can get back to it. Frustrating, because I should be able to get her running with about two days of work...
    1992 K1500 Blazer.
    L94 & 6L80
    285/75R16 Duratracks

I have proved time and time again that sleep is overrated *yawn*. Now get to ZZZzzzzzz

The framers are done with the second stage of our remodel, so I was able to clean up the garage over the last two days and get the Blazer back inside. I'll be working on both the remodel and the swap concurrently. (I had really hoped to be done with the truck before the remodel started up again!) Anyways, not that much to do on the truck so hopefully I can get her going this week if I don't get called in for a work trip.

Today I'm routing the rear diff vent to the engine bay and running the fuel tank wiring. (I don't like how the stock vent is so low.) Also, I should get the harness in place. After that's done I'll need to get the fuel tank mounted and filled. Filling it will tank some time because I'm going to fill it a gallon at a time while recording the fuel sender readings with HPtuners. That's so I can calibrate the fuel level to be pretty much exact. Then the intake goes on and the fans get wired. A few small details after that and she should start!
    1992 K1500 Blazer.
    L94 & 6L80
    285/75R16 Duratracks

Quote Originally Posted by Nak View Post
    OK, I had thought it was hard to set that up. How do you go about setting it up for the PCM to control the post 2007 alternator?
    ok , just going off of memory.
    i believe the alternator was charging this way.

using flat old style alternator connector
    x2 pin 61 goes to Pin B
    x2 pin 32 goes to Pin C

i'm pretty sure i was using a 2010 ecm and harness

Thanks for that. Too late for me--mine's already modified--but that should help folks reading this.

I'm making minimal progress. First I had to work on the remodel, then I got called out of town, then I was home for a day and got called out of town again. Very frustrating, as a couple of full days should see this running. I've gotten some small things done. One O2 harness lengthened, the other shortened. All the vent lines are in place. Fuel tank wiring is done. Still to go: Mount and calibrate the fuel tank. Hook up the fans. Hook up the windshield washers. Install the O2 sensors. Mount the ECM. Install the intake manifold. Fill the coolant. Make a few changes on the tune. (Disable DOD until 1000 miles.) Run the Battery grounds and Alternator connections. AC connections. I think that's it...
    Last edited by Nak; 06-27-2015 at 09:35 AM.
    1992 K1500 Blazer.
    L94 & 6L80
    285/75R16 Duratracks

Fuel tank & system is done. The 2012 plug for the fuel tank vapor pressure sensor had to be trimmed to fit the 1998 fuel sender/pump module. Should still be weatherproof. Hoping to start her up tomorrow evening!

I've been studying the tuning process and found a very good reason--performance--to keep the evap system operational. The ECM uses the Evap system to determine percentage of ethanol in the fuel. It then adjusts the tune for the fuel. Only a Flex Fuel engine will do this, but this is a pretty cool thing. Without the Evap operational, you'd have to tune the engine to take advantage of the high octane rating of E85. With the Evap operational, fill her up with E85 and instant extra horsepower! E85 = Cheap race gas. Also, in the near future we're likely to see different levels of Ethanol in our fuel. It'll be nice to have a correct tune regardless of the % ethanol.
    1992 K1500 Blazer.
    L94 & 6L80
    285/75R16 Duratracks

Had a few problems. I was missing a couple of breakouts on the harness, not a big deal--easy enough to add. Then I realized my fuel sender was wrong. I switched to a '98 tank to get the 40-250 ohms fuel level sender. Here's the problem: '98 till about 2004 is 40 ohms empty and 250 ohms full. After 2004, 40 ohms is full and 250 ohms is empty. (I need the ECM to have the correct fuel level because of my plans for my instrument panel.) Anyways, after some research I figured out how to calibrate the ECM for a reverse fuel curve with HPTuners. After some tests it looks like it works fine. Hopefully I won't have any issues down the road with the fuel sender curve being reversed. (I want things like fuel mileage and distance to empty to work properly.)

So, I'll finish wiring the fuel sender tomorrow--maybe an hours work--then I'll fill the fuel tank one gallon at a time so I can calibrate the fuel level. After that I've got just a few small things to do; so barring any problems I'll start her in the next day or two.
    1992 K1500 Blazer.
    L94 & 6L80
    285/75R16 Duratracks

+ Reply to Thread