+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: L94 & 6L80 Into My '92 2dr K1500 Blazer

Getting close. I filled and calibrated the fuel tank, installed the intake and a few other details. I pressurized the fuel system and no leaks! Yay!

Here are the calibration values for a 1998 fuel tank & sender with a L94 engine. Your numbers may be slightly different, but these should get you pretty darn close:
    Empty, 14.2%
    1 Gallon, 14.2%
    2 Gal, 16.4%
    3, 19.2%
    4, 22%
    5, 23.6%
    6, 25.8%
    7, 27.4%
    8, 29%
    9, 31%
    10, 32.6%
    11, 33.8%
    12, 35%
    13, 3.2%
    14, 37.2%
    15, 38.4%
    16, 39.6%
    17, 40.8%
    18, 41.2%
    19, 42.8%
    20, 43.6%
    21, 44.4%
    22, 45.4%
    23, 46.2%
    24, 47%
    25, 48.4%
    26, 49.2%
    27, 50.2%
    27.5, 50.6%
    28 - 30 gallons, 50.6%
    1992 K1500 Blazer.
    L94 & 6L80
    14 Bolt SF axle w/11" brakes & appropriate Combination brake valve, Eaton Trutrac rear posi.
    8000# hidden winch, Rocket Box, KYB Monomax shocks
    285/75R16 Duratracks
    Flat Panel Display Gauge cluster in progress.
    http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...00-blazer.html
    New interior & exterior paint planned.

Started her up tonight! Some problems though... First, I get a DTC "No comm with TCM" and the transmission won't go into gear. I'm thinking I'll have to have my TCM reflashed at a dealer. Second, I show nothing for oil pressure or temp. Not low or zero, nothing. I'm guessing there's a problem with the harness. Third, One of the trans cooler fittings I had welded up is leaking at the weld. That'll have to come off & get re-welded. Fourth, I have no tail lights at all. No brake lights, turn signals, etc in the rear. I'll have to trace that one down.

Other than that she ran rough for a while but is running fine now. The exhaust sounds excellent, at least at idle with minor revving. Very quiet. Hopefully the valves in the mufflers will open open--like they are supposed to--during hard runs.

I'll get a first run video up soon along with a few more pictures.
    1992 K1500 Blazer.
    L94 & 6L80
    14 Bolt SF axle w/11" brakes & appropriate Combination brake valve, Eaton Trutrac rear posi.
    285/75R16 Duratracks

Already fixed everything but the tranny not going into gear. As far as that goes, It's either an OS compatibility between the TCM and the ECM--most likely I think--or a VIN incompatibility--Less likely I think. Possibly a tune issue, but I find that unlikely; but what the hell do I know! Either way, It's going to take a re-flash at the dealer to get the TCM and the ECM talking.
    1992 K1500 Blazer.
    L94 & 6L80
    285/75R16 Duratracks

I don't think the oil or temp sensor connects with the engine harness on the older obs, as they do not on the newer obs. The wires go directly to the instrument panel and the coolant temp for the computer comes from a different temp sensor. I added a three plug temp sensor and routed all the wires to it when I did my swap. I just plugged my old oil sensor back in as the computer with my swap doesn't care about oil pressure.

True, but I'm checking oil off the ALDL link. Turns out that was an issue with HPTuners, as another scan tool sees the oil press and temp just fine. I'm getting Fuel level, oil press, etc in to the ECM because down the road all of my gauges will be off the ALDL port.
    1992 K1500 Blazer.
    L94 & 6L80
    285/75R16 Duratracks

IT'S ALIVE!!!

Turns out it was the internal shift linkage. Interesting, because the trans was supposed to have come from a running vehicle. Not possible. I'll get videos up, but here are my impressions: The Dynomax VT mufflers sound great at level ground cruise and wide open throttle. Lot's of drone at uphill cruise. The valves in the mufflers need to be sprung stiffer. I really need a tune, because off the line is obviously restricted somehow. Once you're rolling, HOLY CRAP! The factory electric fans were well worth the effort. The Improved Racing engine oil cooler and trans oil cooler thermostats work great and are well worth the effort & cost. The factory truck DBW throttle needs a heavier spring. Mandrel bent dual exhaust sounds incredible at WOT. Setting up the steam vent as the engineers intended is worth it.
    Last edited by Nak; 07-15-2015 at 12:25 AM.
    1992 K1500 Blazer.
    L94 & 6L80
    285/75R16 Duratracks

Maybe I missed it, but did your driveshafts work without needing modification? And if you haven't gotten an answer about the boss you trimmed, it looks like it was for the A/C compressor bracket. I remember I needed to grind my 1" set back plates a little bit to clear the boss on my 5.3.

I thought being somewhat slow off the line was probably torque management. I raised the torque limit in all the gears way up and disabled traction control. HOLY CRAP! It's fast off the line now. 0-60 in 6.0 flat according to Torque, and the tune isn't even close to being optimized right now. I should easily be able to shave .5 off of that down the road. That'll have to wait until she's broken in though.

Quote Originally Posted by crzy8mnky View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but did your driveshafts work without needing modification? And if you haven't gotten an answer about the boss you trimmed, it looks like it was for the A/C compressor bracket. I remember I needed to grind my 1" set back plates a little bit to clear the boss on my 5.3.
    Yep, that was an AC mounting boss. It's mostly gone now though. The Driveshafts fit fine without modification. The transfer case ends up in the original position. The 4WD version of the 6L80 turns out to be exactly the same length as the 4WD version of the 4L60. The mounting holes on the tail shaft are around an inch further back though (I can't remember exactly, it's back in this thread somewhere.) That requires the transmission crossmember to be moved rearward, but the transfer case stays in it's original position due to tranny length. I did modify the rear driveshaft yoke so I wouldn't need a conversion U-joint with the 14 bolt rear end. This wasn't required, just what I wanted to do.

I'll try and get pics and video up soon. Life is kind of a whirlwind right now, so it may be a bit. Sorry about that. I will get them up though!
    1992 K1500 Blazer.
    L94 & 6L80
    285/75R16 Duratracks

Here's an early rendering of the gauge cluster I'm working on:Blazer Gauge Cluster.jpg
    1992 K1500 Blazer.
    L94 & 6L80
    285/75R16 Duratracks

So what was your trans linkage problem? Very cool that you got it running! Thanks for the thread very informative!

+ Reply to Thread