+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cab Gutted, Stock Speakers Blown, Need some Help!

Question Cab Gutted, Stock Speakers Blown, Need some Help!

Hi All,

I'm chasing a water leak and I've got the interior completely gutted out of my regular cab. My factory speakers are toast so it's time to do a small system. I've got enough FatMat to cover every square inch of metal inside the cab.

I listen to my iPod 99.9% of the time. I would like to leave the factory head unit intact for the few times I actually listen to the radio and run an MP3 player along side it. Is it possible to have some sort of switch that will allow me to run the iPod straight into the amp and then flip over to take the high level inputs from the radio? This way when the iPod is playing I can control the volume right from the iPod and leave the factory head unit turned off.

I want to run all Cerwin-Vega hardware. I'm thinking a set of 6.5 components in the doors and two 10" subs behind the seats. Here are links to the components I'm thinking of using.

Components: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ega-V465C.html
    Woofers: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ega-V104D.html

I have never worked on audio stuff so I need some guidance on 4 channel vs 2 channel and how much power I need. Maybe I only need 8" woofers? Where can I get a sub box to go behind my seats? Etc. Here's a couple pics of my stripped out cab; I really miss this rig and need to get it back together.
    Attached Images
    Kyle - 2004 K1500 Z71 RCSB 5.3
    - Nelson 93 Octane Tune - LPP Long Tubes + Y - Gibson Extreme Duals - Cut Up Stock Air Box - 10.95 @ 67 in the 1/8 -
    - '05 Pickup Front Brakes - '05 Suburban Rear Brakes - Russel Stainless Braided Hoses -
    - DTRL's Turned to Park Lights - 4-HI Mod - '05 SS Seats -
    - I downshift near hybrids so they can hear me hurting the environment. -

Im not sure where to start. 2 of the biggest things to keep in mind when picking out components to keep in mid is RMS power and how many Ohm's the speakers are. When an amplifier has a 4 Ohm load it puts out half as much as a 2 Ohm load. Most of today's new amps are only designed to handle a 2 Ohm load, so when buying speakers and subs, keep in mind through series and or parelle wiring you should end up with a 2 Ohm load. (example dual 4 ohm sub can either be wired to 2 Ohm's or 8 Ohm's) Most sub-woofer amp outputs are single channel, therefore my recommendation for sub selection is to choose a dual 2 Ohm sub if u want 2 or just the dual 4 Ohm if u want 1. To save space and money on amps u could get urself a 5 channel theatre amp. It combines ur speaker components and sub-woofer out put. Something like this Alpine amp (MRX-V70) should work good for ur set-up. I would recommend changing ur head unit to a decant after-market one with front, rear, and sub-woofer RCA out puts. Also there is not much room for Dual voice coil subs behind the seats of these trucks. I ended up building a custom fibreglass enclosure for mine. There is way too much to mention for audio system design in a quick post. Im sure u still have lots of questions and i've confessed u with all this info.

To keep the stock deck and have extra inputs as well as pre-out for the amps, use PAC ISGM655 and PAC AOEM-GM24. That is what I am running from my factory deck to my five channel amp. With these adapters you keep steering wheel controls and all the extra features the truck came with. The ISGM655 adds aux input, USB input, bluetooth, and iPod integration. The AOEM-GM24 gives you pre-outs to hook up an amp. They run about $150 new on eBay.
    cjriojas:if you're weather man is a 5 gallon bucket, YOUUUUUUUUUUU might be a redneck
    danger_ranger83: I see now why it cost so much to get a harness made... FML
    2boostedSilverado: I like Casey's rear end, I want to chat with him about it

Trash the deck, your system is only going to sound as good as your deck allows, the deck is the hart of your system. Buy a good deck and you wont regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duct_tape123 View Post
    To keep the stock deck and have extra inputs as well as pre-out for the amps, use PAC ISGM655 and PAC AOEM-GM24. That is what I am running from my factory deck to my five channel amp. With these adapters you keep steering wheel controls and all the extra features the truck came with. The ISGM655 adds aux input, USB input, bluetooth, and iPod integration. The AOEM-GM24 gives you pre-outs to hook up an amp. They run about $150 new on eBay.
    This is exactly what I needed! I don't want to trash the stock deck because of its integration into the truck, I simply want to bypass it and put the music from my iPod or iPhone straight into the amp. Match RMS ratings and keep impedance low. This should be more than enough to get me started.

Thanks Guys!
    Kyle - 2004 K1500 Z71 RCSB 5.3
    - Nelson 93 Octane Tune - LPP Long Tubes + Y - Gibson Extreme Duals - Cut Up Stock Air Box - 10.95 @ 67 in the 1/8 -
    - '05 Pickup Front Brakes - '05 Suburban Rear Brakes - Russel Stainless Braided Hoses -
    - DTRL's Turned to Park Lights - 4-HI Mod - '05 SS Seats -
    - I downshift near hybrids so they can hear me hurting the environment. -

You can run an aftermarket deck and still keep all your stuff, just by the interface for what you have, the deck is the hart of your system, you can only sound as good as your deck allows. With that said, match your speakers to your amp, theres tons of ways to go about it. Im running all memphis pro audio in my truck, i have 2 2 channel amps on my front doors, its just whats your preference and budget.

+ Reply to Thread