+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help troubleshooting.

Need help troubleshooting.

My truck died on the way to the lake. When I was going down the on ramp to merge onto the interstate, the engine fell on it face and would not accelerate. It made a weird thump sound when I tried to pedal it. I pulled over and let it idle and the idle got real low for a couple of seconds and then seemed to be fine. I got out and let it continue to run while I looked over the engine and trans. I shut it off to go talk to the vehicle that was following me. I came back to start the truck and it would not start. It turns over fine and sounds normal trying to start but will not fire up. I towed it back to the house. It just turned over 1000 miles since I completed the conversion.

I had a digital battery charger hooked up to recharge the battery after draining it from trying to get it to start. The battery has 13.8 volt in it but the charger says it has an internal short in the battery? Would this really keep my truck from running?

All the injectors have power and so do the coil packs. I pulled the spark plugs and verified that they are making spark. I am getting fuel to the rail but I don't know what the pressure is. I tried posting this in the trouble shooting section but was getting no responses. Any ideas or advice as to what I should be looking for.
    1994 Chevy C1500 RCSB 05' DBW 5.3 Conversion Complete
    My build

Coming soon ....... Full Repaint, 214/220 Cam, Yukon Posi with 3.73's, remove body lift

The battery could be at fault if the short is bad enough to not allow enough amps to power everything, but that seems unlikely since it shouldn't be in play when you are driving. Maybe swap it out if you have a spare and check your fuses. You could try seeing if there are any pending DTC codes. Since you have spark and fuel, I would look at the air intake and make sure nothing got in there and is blocking airflow.

If u try another battery and that doesnt work, u need to check ur fuel pressure. Low fuel pressure can cause lots of issues including backfiring through the intake. My buddy spent countless hours trying to resolve what he thought was an ignition problem because he had fuel but it turned out it was low fuel pressure.

The battery ended up not being the issue. I have rechecked the grounds. The computer is not putting out an codes which is inconvenient. I am going to see if I can find a pressure test to hook up to the fuel rail. I did buy the cheap fuel pump from rock auto and it's still under warranty if it turns out to be the issue. Any thing else that I should be looking at?

Bought a fuel pressure tester from harbor freight and hooked it up to the rail. Only got 5 psi when turning over the engine. Before I replace the pump, is there any safety feature that would disable the pump. I am calling rock auto, I bought the pump in March and it has a 12 month warranty.
    My build

Coming soon ....... Full Repaint, 214/220 Cam, Yukon Posi with 3.73's, remove body lift

just un hook the battery, u will be fine. i think u found ur problem for sure. The pump is running right?

its prob not the actual pump its the sending unit being shorted and overheating
    it dosent allow enough voltage th run the pump properly

Got it! I spent the extra money and bought a quality Airtex pump with a lifetime warranty. Took the bed off and dropped her in and presto! She's burning rubber again. I am still going to exchange the rock auto pump since it had a warranty and keep it as a spare just in case. Thanks guys.
    My build

+ Reply to Thread