+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4.3 to 5.3 Swap Thread

4.3 to 5.3 Swap Thread

Hello everyone.. I decided to put a swap thread together and catalog my progress. Maybe even help out others that have or are planning on doing the same that I have.

Long story short.. I've grown tired of Ford trucks. Anyone that has put a engine in a newer model F150 can sympathize with me. I've wanted to build something LS powered for quite a while and be able to enjoy working on it while doing so.

I originally started with a '95 4th gen FBody that was "LT1less". Purchased a longblock 5.3 out of a 00 Suburban from a local salvage yard with harness, ecu, and all accessories. 1 BMR K-member later, had the 5.3 dropped in and ready to put the finishing touches on. With the idea of the car needing new paint and missing all of it's interior, I decided to scrap that idea and out came the 5.3. Given my fondness of fast trucks, I figured I'd pickup a RCSB for the swap. Living in Houston, that didn't prove to be a large feat.. more so was finding a truck that was in good condition (not conditions).

I found a 2002 Pewter regular cab short bed reasonably close to the house for a fair price and drove it home.

Let the parts list begin..

Progress...
    Ported, polished, milled, 706's

Z06 springs... they are cheap and will do with the stocker cam.

Pulled the whole rotating assembly apart and re-ringed, re-bearinged, dipped the block, and painted / cleaned everything.

Out with the old and in with the new..

Pacesetter 1 7/8" longtubes and 3" ORY mated to the factory exhaust.

Things to note for others performing this swap:
    -you need V8 frame to engine mounts... the 6 cylinder ones are not the same
    -PS pmp is the same but the brackets are not
    -the fuel lines from the cab to intake manifold / rail need to be changed
    -the ac compressor and lines are different
    -the V6 4l60 and convertor will bolt right up... longevity is another thing entirely

I'll update as time permits. Thanks all for looking.

-stan

Looking good, keep the pics coming

Thank you! I sure will.

Stan

On for some progress... removed the freshly installed Pacesetter ORY today. It crosses over the trans pan that until tomorrow has remained filterless since I drained the fluid on the tear down. Good thing I realized this now and not after clamps and final tightening.

Also installed a 34" V8 radiator, 06+ efans, pressed on the ps pump pulley, and a 255 fuel pump.

Pics:

Summit / Amazon sent me more goodies.. Tru-Cool 40k GVW trans cooler, trans fluid line, and a whole assortment of push-loc -an fittings!

More to follow... tomorrow includes another ~$30 run to the dealer for bolts.

Thanks
    Stan
    Last edited by Tork; 06-18-2014 at 10:26 PM.

+ Reply to Thread